Some millin' and some cuttin'

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDB777

I find unique timber and cut it up
Reaction score
As promised, I went to cut some timber this morning. It was a nice morning, little on the humid side but 'do-able'....
Cut about 25 trees(mostly American Sweetgum for the buttlogs), including a few White Sassfrass trees and some Black Cherry trees. Didn't really want the Black Cherry, but after a bit of weed clearing, I scored this! Burl, I took a quick 'peek' with the chainsaw, but I am thinking the whole piece is going to have some nice 'stuff' going on inside. Also decided to grab a chunk of Black Cherry crotch, right off the stump.

Got home and put all the saws away, and rolled another piece of Green Ash onto the bunk....yup, I think it'll fit? It did....it was all cut into either 1" thickness or 2-1/4" thick slabs.

My view from the 'working end' of the sawmill....

Time to clean up, heard some thunder in the distance(sounded like a good excuse).

I'll start tomorrow morning on the Eastern Red Cedar dimensional lumber milling, not looking forward to sucking ERC dust in the heat, but it will get done. The Green Ash will get picked up in the morning....until next time.

Scott (it's fun millin' like a villian) B

Getting tired of seeing this yet?

Didn't fire the mill up until 8am, was already up to 78*F, and it was only going to get warmer. Put a small log(the're all small) on the bunk and figured 'what the hey'....clicky!

By the time it got to 91*F, I had had about enough for the day. According to my math, okay I have an APP for the phone that spits out Doyle Scale for me....I had put 221bft through the uprights. I know it doesn't sound like much, but this is making dimensional lumber on a manual mill.....it's a pretty decent amount on timber(especially since it's all small timber).

Not quite done on this customers' load yet, but I guess I'd rather do quality over speedy crap work. And the sweat was pouring out of me today!!!

By the way, I still have plenty more to mill! And this photo(below), doesn't include the stuff that followed me home the other day! And the Ash...it was picked up this morning by a very happy fella!!

Silly photo warning....

Thanks for looking, wish I had time to finish....

Scott (dog watched me for awhile) B

Beautiful, and thanks for sharing the great pocs

394xp w/ 33" & 42" Bars - Full Comp Full Chisel - 36" Granberg Alaskan Mill
455 Rancher w/ 20" Bar - Semi Chisel
Husqvarna Forestry Helmet & Full Wrap Chaps

That's some great looking wood. Just like the little deer eat the best, those little logs made some great boards.

That's some great looking wood. Just like the little deer eat the best, those little logs made some great boards.

Actually, little logs make 'okay' boards, big timber is where the 'compression/inclusion' stuff lives. And ERC is just a pain in the backside as far as the amount of scrap it creates! Thinking I had to 'chuck' about 40% of those 'little timbers' as waste....

I had fun doing it, lost some weight, and got some cha-ching for it!

Scott (cha-ching pays for gas for the rest of the year) B

Back