Some neat tree facts for my firewood friends

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennsywoodburnr

supreme scrounger
Reaction score
I was looking through my tree I.D. book the other day and ran across some cool info on certain trees. Maybe I was bored or whatever, but it was still interesting. Anyways, here's a few I found:

Giant Sequoia: One of the largest trees in the world, and one of the longest lived too. It's estimated to live to 3,266 years old. The General Sherman is 275 feet tall and has a trunk diameter of 36 and a half feet. The tallest ever recorded is at 311 feet high. The bark can be up to 2 feet thick. The pinecones can stay on the branch for 20(!) years before finally falling to the ground.

Intermountain Bristlecone Pine: Considered the longest living organism on earth with one coming in at the ripe old age of 4,844 years old. The wood is so dense and petrified that when one finally dies, the lifeless tree could stand for another 1,000 years before finally toppling over. The growth rate is one of the slowest, at 700 years old it could stand only 3 feet tall.

Redwood: This is considered the tallest tree in the world, with the biggest one at a tad over 379 feet tall. Also very long lived, up to 2,200 years by estimates.

Quaking Aspen: Is considered the most widely distributed tree in North American, that form a network of clones from root offshoots. There's one male tree in the Wasatch Range that the root offshoots have claimed close to 107 acres just to itself. There are 47,000 trunks tied back to this one male tree, and it's considered the earth's most massive organism.

Cool stuff, don't you think?

Absolutely stunning scenery in that video. How'd you like to have that view off your back deck every morning?

As for the feller, he's got bigger ones than me. Pretty amazing.

Bristlecone pine facts are really impressive!

What did they say about the Yellow Cedar (Cypress)? here is a great video of professional taking one down.

I've seen that video over in the chainsaw forum and I never get tired of watching it. There's some major skill at work there!

As for the tree: The book officially calls it Alaska-cedar, but common names for it include Nootka-cypress, Alaska Yellow-cedar, or Yellow-cypress. Is that the one you're talking about? It's said the height can reach between 60-100 feet and a diameter of 1-5 feet across. But if that's what that guy is indeed cutting down in that video it looks like he go into an extra large specimen. Either way, he's got a bigger set than I'll ever have lol.

Pretty cool facts, I remember reading about that bristlecone pine somewhere, saw a picture too. I have stood next to General Sherman and Redwoods. You can see the pictures and they are huge, but to stand next to one in person is truly amazing. Makes you feel really, really small.
I watch this over and over

Pretty cool facts, I remember reading about that bristlecone pine somewhere, saw a picture too. I have stood next to General Sherman and Redwoods. You can see the pictures and they are huge, but to stand next to one in person is truly amazing. Makes you feel really, really small.

I started squirming watching the guy crawl around in the notch of that tree!

"That was awesome!" is an understatement that is truly impressive!

Latest posts

Back