Some new equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe25DA

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Toro proline commercial 21" 2 stroke self propelled and a 57cc Stihl br 420. New to me, they were 'new' in the early 2000s. I have since cleaned the toro and Stihl up, and both run fantastic. I did the toro first. It was bought by a woman in my moms office to do her own lawn. That's why I've bugged her for years to buy it, no homeowners bought $900 commercial 21" mowers! I drained the crud put fresh mix in, no luck. Pulled carb, serious muck in there, rust on bowl and corrosion on carb body. Scrubbed carb and sanded bowl. Then ultra sonic cleaned. Then I cleaned the mower and sharpens the blade. Fired right up and runs super.
The blower was a piece of cake, tore it down cleaned it up, rebuilt carb new fuel lines and filter. I'll go on a limb here and say I like it better than our 550. It was hardly used judging by the p/c. These are before pics . I'll take some afters tommimage.jpgimage.jpg

I like my br420 but be careful about flooding it. Full choke until it pops at low idle, then turn the choke off and pull once or twice. You can really flood those things, trust me!

I like my br420 but be careful about flooding it. Full choke until it pops at low idle, then turn the choke off and pull once or twice. You can really flood those things, trust me!
I havent yet, but with the compression these have I can see it happening easy. I actually like seeing a piece of equipment without a primer...

Two awesome pieces there. Legendary Suzuki two stroke on the Toro. And the br420 is possibly the best 2-stroke blower Stihl ever made (even if you got one with a Redmax engine). Both will outlast your lifetime for typical homeowner duty.

Very nice score!

Two awesome pieces there. Legendary Suzuki two stroke on the Toro. And the br420 is possibly the best 2-stroke blower Stihl ever made (even if you got one with a Redmax engine). Both will outlast your lifetime for typical homeowner duty.

Very nice score!

Very nice score!
not sure on the engine, I'll look into that had no idea Stihl used some red maxes. I've had 3 proline 21's before, 1 kawi 4 stroke that I just sold and 2 Suzukis. This is the nicest one I've come across since it had an easy life. I have 10 lawns I do, 7 I use my 36" proline so the 21" still won't get a lot of hours. I agree great lawn mowers and I'm sure I'll like the 420

Back