Someone talk me out of it!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morning wood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I went into the local home depot this evening to get some supplies for a plumbing job I am doing. Thought I might as well see if they had any saws for sale in the rental section. Sure enough they had a makita 6401 for a little over 200 bucks. I want it! I know I don't need it though. With my birthday coming up Friday and x-mas just around the corner I thought maybe I could get my wife to get it as my present but I'm sure she would say you just spent 500 on saws not that long ago. It wouldn't be a problem if I haven't been unemployed for the last year. I cut firewood most of the summer to supplement our income but there is too much snow to get wood anymore. I just wish I knew HD sold saws before I picked up the 029 super. Right now my only justification is that it's a "pro" saw. Sorry about the long post. Just something I needed to get off my chest

Buy it, package it up and ship it to me. This is the time of year for giving, and this charity should offset any bad feelings about spending the money. :hmm3grin2orange:

Better grab it first thing today as these never last long.

No pressure though :hmm3grin2orange:

-Sean

I went into the local home depot this evening to get some supplies for a plumbing job I am doing. Thought I might as well see if they had any saws for sale in the rental section. Sure enough they had a makita 6401 for a little over 200 bucks. I want it! I know I don't need it though. With my birthday coming up Friday and x-mas just around the corner I thought maybe I could get my wife to get it as my present but I'm sure she would say you just spent 500 on saws not that long ago. It wouldn't be a problem if I haven't been unemployed for the last year. I cut firewood most of the summer to supplement our income but there is too much snow to get wood anymore. I just wish I knew HD sold saws before I picked up the 029 super. Right now my only justification is that it's a "pro" saw. Sorry about the long post. Just something I needed to get off my chest

Brother, a man's gotta buy chainsaws...it's a basic principle that defines WHO YOU ARE. Thats the reason Craigslist and FleaBay were invented, to allow men to have the freedom to continue to redefine WHO THEY ARE.

Do you have a surfboard, skis, a mountain bike stashed somewhere gathering dust? They used to be important to you right? But now, with the help of all your friends and peers here on ArboristSite, you no longer define yourself as a Surfer, a Skier, or a Mountain Biker...Because you Brother, have passed into the ultimate definition of Oneself: CHAINSAWER!

Becoming a Chainsawer is not to be taken lightly, as owning a single, never used box-store saw is not a qualification...a Chainsawer has a minimum of TWO saws...that way HE can decide WHICH one to use on any particular cutting task. HE becomes the master of his own chainsaw world, the King of bar oil and conquerer of all things wood and timber.

Sell your surfboard, skis and mountain bike...tell your Missus that you MUST HAVE the 6401...you have graduated from an average Joe to CHAINSAWER!
CHAINSAWERS don't care if there's too much snow on the ground...you got a shovel, and chainsaws cut frozen wood just fine...being tough, strong, and an overcomer are the hallmarks of a CHAINSAWER...

So make us proud Brother...and send us pics after you get the saw home...:cheers:

I love 029 Supers. Not interested in a $200 one at christmas time, but prices on Ebay are pretty high right now. You could easliy get your $200 back for the 029s on there. If you're going to get the Makita, I would do it now. Those things don't last long.

And now for the opposing view:

If your wife is like mine, she is alredy at MAX stress during Christmas. Don't push it too far. There are plenty of chainsaws out there. I wouldn't foul my holiday over a 6401 if I had several good saws already. If you hadn't seen the 6401, I highly doubt that you would have decided to spend another $200 on your chainsaw addiction right now. Good luck.

I went into the local home depot. Sure enough they had a makita 6401 for a little over 200 bucks. I want it! Right now my only justification is that it's a "pro" saw. Sorry about the long post. Just something I needed to get off my chest

You "need" this!
Go get it!

Go get it, you need another saw in your collection, safely away from idiots that don't know what premix means. Buy it, you NEED it. Post pics when you get it. :D

I don't think this is what the OP wanted from this thread... or maybe... it is exactly what he wanted??? :dunno:

Hey, if morning wood wanted financial advice, there are websites with free forums for that...

If he wanted marriage advice, there's Dear Abby and Oprah...

He posted on ArboristSite...with 50,000 chainsaw fanatics...What do you think? :laugh:

Hey, if morning wood wanted financial advice, there are websites with free forums for that...

If he wanted marriage advice, there's Dear Abby and Oprah...

He posted on ArboristSite...with 50,000 chainsaw fanatics...What do you think? :laugh:

Yeah, guess it would be the same as me going into a bar to discuss my drinking problem. :monkey:

Instead of spending 200 on a saw you don't need, give it to a charitable organization. They really need all they can get this time of year.

OP: Look at it this way you are not spending $200 but saving $300 by not buying new. Think about it makes perfect sense. CAD is a wondrous disease.

DONT DO IT !!!!!! i just got a echo pole saw from the rental dept . they were asking 250 and i left there with the saw for 175 out the door...

talk to the manager and it could save you quite a few buckaroonies

Brother, a man's gotta buy chainsaws...it's a basic principle that defines WHO YOU ARE. Thats the reason Craigslist and FleaBay were invented, to allow men to have the freedom to continue to redefine WHO THEY ARE.

Do you have a surfboard, skis, a mountain bike stashed somewhere gathering dust? They used to be important to you right? But now, with the help of all your friends and peers here on ArboristSite, you no longer define yourself as a Surfer, a Skier, or a Mountain Biker...Because you Brother, have passed into the ultimate definition of Oneself: CHAINSAWER!

Becoming a Chainsawer is not to be taken lightly, as owning a single, never used box-store saw is not a qualification...a Chainsawer has a minimum of TWO saws...that way HE can decide WHICH one to use on any particular cutting task. HE becomes the master of his own chainsaw world, the King of bar oil and conquerer of all things wood and timber.

Sell your surfboard, skis and mountain bike...tell your Missus that you MUST HAVE the 6401...you have graduated from an average Joe to CHAINSAWER!
CHAINSAWERS don't care if there's too much snow on the ground...you got a shovel, and chainsaws cut frozen wood just fine...being tough, strong, and an overcomer are the hallmarks of a CHAINSAWER...

So make us proud Brother...and send us pics after you get the saw home...:cheers:

Wow, I would assume you are infected with CAD yourself.

Quite a motivational speech there, bud.

I think I'm going to buy some more saws after that one

CT

Yeah, guess it would be the same as me going into a bar to discuss my drinking problem. :monkey:

I've done that, sober since 10-28-07, kind of fun to watch some people squirm.

BOT...AS definately isn't the place to ask folks to discourage you from buying another chainsaw.

Back