Something a Little Different

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozzie1957

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is the latest addition to my small chainsaw collection.
It's a Gravely Model L tractor attachment.
It's got a 40" bar, 9/16" (.063) chain circa 1957.
Not real practical since you really need to bring the logs to it.....hehehe.
But she sure throws a roost!

OK, that is too cool. I have to get one of those for my Gravely!

EDIT: Thanks for the inspiration. I really do need to get my old Gravely back in service. I ran it a couple days a week up through 2001 and it has pretty much sat since then. It looks like you've got a couple of them. Do you restore them or just collect them and run them?

Last edited:
man, thats one nasty looking saw... but must do wonders when bucking big wood...

Computeruser,
Yep I am a collector sort of but I have 3 miles of trails by the creek and through the woods that I keep cut back with the Gravely.
I have most of the regular attachments and several somewhat rare ones.
Like the Unicorn Logsplitter and the 18" circular saw.
I'm not really intersted in making the stuff mint .... just usable.

I planned on some video or pics of it in action but haven't got to it yet.
Will try to get something up.

Ozzie1957 said:
Computeruser,
Yep I am a collector sort of but I have 3 miles of trails by the creek and through the woods that I keep cut back with the Gravely.
I have most of the regular attachments and several somewhat rare ones.
Like the Unicorn Logsplitter and the 18" circular saw.
I'm not really intersted in making the stuff mint .... just usable.

I planned on some video or pics of it in action but haven't got to it yet.
Will try to get something up.

I look forward to seeing the video!

I'm with you on the idea of making them usable rather than mint. I really enjoyed running mine for brushcutting duties with the round deck minus guards and the sicklebar mower, but it got finicky and was burning too much oil for comfort so it was retired in favor of one of those BillyGoat units.

What is the horsepower on the L-series that you run the saw on? Mine is a 1953 if memory serves, which places it at a whopping 5hp. It still out-brushcuts my 8hp Billygoat by a longshot. I thought about just swapping an 11 or 13hp Honda motor on with one of those conversion kits that bolts right up and putting her back to work, but that just seems wrong since this is THE machine that my grandfather and mother both used in tending his couple acres of veggies, apples, grapes, and lawn. Well, that and I'd loose the pressure lubrication for the transmission.

Anyway, thanks again for the pics. You made my day. And if I'm ever down in Ohio I might have to look you up!

My Gravelys are all later model 7.6 HP units (1967 or newer).
Gravely had 5, 6.6 and 7.6 HP (Gravely powered) units.
But the torque is really what makes the Gravely so amazing and all three versions are pretty close.

Gravely parts are still pretty plentiful so personally I like to keep them original.
There could be other issues as far as RPM's on the Honda conversion.
I say keep her stock!

When the motor is spinning at 2600, the RPM of the shaft with the chain sprocket is only about 2340.

But what I was referring to was the RPM of the Honda engine in regards to doing a conversion of the tractors Gravely engine to the Honda.
The Honda makes it's horsepower at a higher RPM so all your attachments will be moving faster than they were designed to.

The Honda engine also make your ground speed higher than it really needs to be and then you need a different final drive set. A buddy of mine put a Honda on an old L and he couldn't keep up with it on foot. Ended up putting LI gears in. If you really want an awesome brush cutter find a Mountaneer deck. They have higher blade speeds and make the Gravely into a new machine. An LI with Honda 13hp power with the Mountaneer deck would be a fantastic brush cutting machine.
John.........

Latest posts

Back