something is wrong with my 455 husky wont go full throttle dies.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Journier

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought this 455 about 2 years ago, and this year its been giving me problems.

It did this but stopped after it warmed up when it was hot outside earlier this year, now its turned cold in Illinois and she wouldnt rev up all the way above 3/4 throttle without dying, I thought it was because the chainsaw was cold, so i warmed her up a bit in wood for a few minutes, and she still did the same thing after.

Runs good at 3/4 throttle but wtf not running like it should :/

you hit full throttle and it just starts to blurb and lose rpm's all the way till its dead.

I was thinking maybe its because of now there is ethanol (10%) in fuel, whereas before it wasnt as much if at all...

the L screw can only be turned 1/2 a turn because of the limiters, and it was turned in from the factory all the way counter clockwise, and can only be turned 1/2 turn Clockwise same for the H screw.

the H screw is the same from the factory all the way counterclockwise against the limiter..

I played with the L screw, but something is funny about it seemed to take a while to see anything change in how the chainsaw was running,

I didnt see any difference at all in either position really though, so turned it back to where it was.

I didnt play with the H screw yet, but I figure thats where the problem is...

Play with the chainsaw tommorow in the AM if someone can post back what I might be looking to do.

I dont think its a fuel Issue yet, because my 395xp is running great on it.

eta-

I have cleaned the saws air filter and such religiously, so its not blocked up.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm missing something here, but turning the screws CCW would be in the "out" direction, not "in". The needles (screws) would come completely out of the carb if you kept turning CCW. Do this: Turn both screws all the way in, in a CW rotation, then back them both out (CCW) about 1 turn. Then run it again.

Last edited:
the L and H screws are against the stops CCW, and can only be turned 1/2 turn CW.

Last edited:
hun???

check fuel filter. i suspect there maybe a bad fuel or impulse hose to blame. also check to see if piston is streak free. if the factory settings were wrong you may have a bigger problem.

:givebeer:

the L and H screws are against the stops CCW, and can only be turned 1/2 turn CW.

Okay. I didn't read your post closely. I don't know the intial settings on that saw. Someone else may. I guess the first thing I would do is pull the plug and examine it to determine why the saw is stalling. Brown=Good. Black/Wet=Running Rich (Flooding). Whitish=Running Lean (Not enough fuel). Then we can go from there.

If Rich:
-Crap under the needle valve in carb
-Leaky metering diaphragm in carb
-Weak spark? Coil going bad?

If Lean:
-Fuel filter
-Crack in fuel line
-Crack in impulse line
-Leaky crankcase seal
-Crud in carburetor
-Leaking manifold gasket/boot

I'm a scrub. There are others here that fix these for a living...but I have stayed over 40 nights in a Holiday Inn Express this year.:)

Have you tried a new spark plug? they can do crazy things sometimes

Last edited:
havent tried anything yet,

hell i went out right before dark to do some cutting since i was feeling lazy(caught the flu, and been down for 3 days) and quickly found out the saw wasnt running right at all.

Ill check the spark plug tommorow, didnt even think of checking last night.

ok just got the spark plug out. I took a look at the piston and cylinder wall and i dont think there is anything wrong with them, the wall looks good, the piston looks like its been burning rich, black and wet looking except for where the spark plug ignites thats clean.

heres the pictures of the plug. To me the plug looks brown but only really on one side....

img0417gg1.jpg

img0418fj7.jpg

img0420cf4.jpg

Last edited:
Plugs can look good and be bad - I know this does'nt relate to chainsaws but last week my car (Honda Prelude) was running bad, missing when you tried to accelerate or if you put it under a load, like going up a hill but ran fine at low RPMs. I checked it and all 4 plugs were sparking just fine, So I went through the trouble shooting procedures in the manual and everything pointed to a bad fuel injector on the #2 cylinder.

Got a new injector (expensive) installed it and the car still was'nt running right. Long story short, after fooling with it for 2 days I was stumped, I even drained the gas tank looking for water! so just for kicks I installed a new plug in that cylinder and that was the problem.

Something else you might want to check is the muffler, I'm not familiar with your model of saw but it might have a spark arrestor screen in the muffler thats clogged up

Back