something not quite right

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burlman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Took out my old timberjack on the weekend, went to add some moter oil, and found some grey brain matter on oil cap, water and oil mix. checked dip stick noanti-freeze in oil, but antifreeze is low in rad. topped it up. fired up machine and seems the moter is pressurizing the rad. so do I have head gasket problems, or cracked block, or cracked head??? any guesses or better yet similar expieriances. like to know, so we can save up for the doctors bill

Yep you are on the right track, It will be one of them. Is the oil "milky"? My guess would be the head gasket or head. Make sure you have the head maga fluxed before putting it back on. Cheap insurance, does not take long and may save some effort and $ in the future.

could it of had a little moisture aroumd the cap or have got rained on?

That's my thinking as well. Usually if the radiator is low enough to be noticable, there should be enough water in the oil to make it milky. I wouldn't worry too much about a little condensation around the underside of the cap.

Took out my old timberjack on the weekend, went to add some moter oil, and found some grey brain matter on oil cap, water and oil mix. checked dip stick noanti-freeze in oil, but antifreeze is low in rad. topped it up. fired up machine and seems the moter is pressurizing the rad. so do I have head gasket problems, or cracked block, or cracked head??? any guesses or better yet similar expieriances. like to know, so we can save up for the doctors bill

Chances are there is something wrong with head if the rad is pressurizing.If you want a phone number of a good timberjack mechanic PM me .He is the only one i let touch mine he worked for timberjack for 25 years he really knows his stuff might be able to help you over the phone.

burlman, need more info for a proper diagnosis. Few more things to check. Sometimes condensation will form on the cap and that may be all it is if your lucky. other things to check tho before you start it up.
1. Look in the radiator. A black film floating on top of the coolant before you start it could mean cracked head , pitted liner , or bad headgasket.
2. Loosen up the oil drain plug and let just a small amount seep out around the threads. Make sure its oil and not antifreeze. Antifeeze in the oil is most likely pitted liner or o-rings on the sleeve depending on the engine.
3 Start it up and run it with the radiator cap off. top of radiator with coolant and make sure no bubbles coming out. it may expand and some fluid may run over but your looking for air. also check the oil after it has run and see if it turns grey. Bubbles means same as 1 and grey oil same as 2.
also what model and brand of engine.

thanks grandpa, yes there is oil floating on top of the antifreeze, I did not try thr bubble experiment yet. actually forecasting warmer weather for the weekend hope to take a look. The moter is a 4 cyl ford diesel 220.

thanks grandpa, yes there is oil floating on top of the antifreeze, I did not try thr bubble experiment yet. actually forecasting warmer weather for the weekend hope to take a look. The moter is a 4 cyl ford diesel 220.

Probably a cracked head or a head gasket. I think most of those vintage fords were sleeveless or had dry sleeves.

Back