Somethings gotta give

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Youngbuck20

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Was out cuttin today and got the saw stuck in the ash I cut down cause I'm a rookie and not a very smart cookie. Anyways, gaver a couple revs to try to yanker out and it let out a zing like something was slipping. After she was out a made some more cuts and the saw dust build up in the bar cover was grey like mulched paper. Stihl ran fine. I'm not all that confident running it more with what's happening. Is this nothing or what do you guys think? Take it easy on me, just learnin.

At 1st I was thinking you munched the drive sprocket. It was still cutting ?
If it was cutting, then maybe you munched the oil pump drive gear and maybe the chips were grey because they were burnt from a hot chain ?

Last edited:
Ya still cut real nice. I couldn't smell anything. I just checked the chain, it seems lubed up, how can I tell if the oil drive is gone in it? Easy to access to take a boo? Run it out of wood to see if it still oils the chain? I took a look at it, the sprocket that's on the outside of the clutch cover that the chain goes around, is it supposed to have about a quarter inch of play moving it towards and away from the saw. ms361.

You might have pinched the bar rails and the dust is from the chain rubbing in the groove. Try to pull the chain around the bar by hand and see if there's a tight spot.

if ya run the saw wide open with the tip 6 inches away from a peice of wood or somewhere you can see oil splatter it should put a streak of oil on it

Good thinking. That would explain the grey. Would it make a "zing" sound when it was slipping ?

it would sound like a "pinging" sound as the clutch might be "slapping" around. Take the cover off and see how much slop is there. won't cost a thing. I remember having one on a 066 that was a one piece sprocket/combo that had a metallic sound. It was so loose that you could hear it as you tilted the saw from side to side you could hear it move.

the sprocket that's on the outside of the clutch cover that the chain goes around, is it supposed to have about a quarter inch of play moving it towards and away from the saw.
It's normal for the sprocket to slide on the shaft.

Last edited:
Alright, I can move the chain freely along the bar. Looking at the clutch right now. All springs are in tact. The inside of the casing is black with residue. And looking in around the clutch it is black as well. Dunno what it's supposed to look like in there though.

Sounds like you just took some life out of your clutch shoes.
If they're still driving the chain without slipping then you're ok.

Sorry the sprocket/gear that's on the outside of the clutch cover that the chain goes around. All of the parts you take off to see the clutch look fine. No wear or busted pieces. The bearings that are outside of the clutch shouldn't they be greased? They are bone dry?

Clutch shoes? Like brake shoes. Are they what the clutch springs are attached to? If so it looks like a brake drum with a wack of brake dust caked to it

cfdb45fe-4883-14d6.jpg
test

Back