Somethings just defy logic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I got to messing with the recent acquisition (CAD is incurable) 041 (thanks DisturbeD)

switching the bar out for a 18" bar and chain I ran into a oddity. Put the bar and chain on the saw, and wriggle things around, adjust it for some tension, and tighten the nuts. and it literally will NOT allow the chain to move. What the ?? More messing with it. Finally tried it with just spacers and the nuts, no cover. it worked just fine that-a-way. Now what the heck? How can this be? It's a flat surface that presses the bar against the saw. Adjuster fits in like it should (old school, screw from front of saw). Definitely strange... flipped the saw upside down to get better look into the beast. confirmed, the chain gets tight right at the studs and refuses to move in the guide rails of the bar. You gotta be kidding me.... two itty bitty little 8x1.25 studs are squeezing the bar enough to tighten the .050 enough that the chain can't move? It sure looked like it, but that just ain't possible o_O

so, that little tin guide is a bit messed up, previous operator had managed to run the chain outta it's groove enough that it kinda messed up the tin some. shaved the bottom of it the rest of the way off, and passed a hacksaw blade a few strokes underneath it just to remove burrs, clean it up some. put it back on the saw, and for some bizarre reason I was able to get the chain tightened and still able to move it by hand.

Took it out and cut a block up with it just to prove that the sucker is gonna work.

Now, pray tell me what the heck was going on there??? I am mystified.

I may be way off, but I had a similar situation the other day, and it turned out the sprocket was on backwards, which put the chain in a bind and actually forced the chain to be closer to the crankcase side instead of in the middle. Flipped the sprocket over and all was good. Again, I don't know your saw, but it may be something to check.

I can get pics, eventually.
While out in the cold this morning, I came up with something I need to check. How about the cover is "warped" ? maybe the body of the saw is similar? tighten them down and we are actually "twisting the bar" just enough that the drivers are getting "pinched". That is the ONLY thing I can think of.... you just can not compress a steel bar with two 8 mm bolts... with a aluminum cover...

Now, if the bar was worn some, and the chain was worn some, this would never be found. I had a relatively cheap bar and chain on it when I first found the oddity, I strolled into my store yesterday afternoon, and strolled out with a brand NEW 18" bar, and a NEW 66dl 3/8 chain.

The saw is in good shape, but after about 45+ years, flat and true might not be....

Bar too slim or chain (teeth) too wide. The chain will get pinched between the (chain guides of the) mount and cover.
Happens a lot when switching bar/chain combos between newer and older mid-sized Husqvarnas.

Latest posts

Back