Son gased my brand new MS180

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys saying to just buy a new saw must have deep pockets.

Looks like a oem engine is about $100, aftermarket under 40. I agree, the crank is most likely compromised either from lack of oil or debris, or both.
Its a sub 250 dollar chainsaw, if the price of a new one makes you cry then you have bigger issues.
I applaud the father/son project moment, do it right and you guys can go cut together when life allows. Next up how to sharpen a chain and why some chain is better than others for different tasks!

Its a sub 250 dollar chainsaw, if the price of a new one makes you cry then you have bigger issues.
I applaud the father/son project moment, do it right and you guys can go cut together when life allows. Next up how to sharpen a chain and why some chain is better than others for different tasks!
No one is crying, but I see where the phrase "more money than brains" can be applied.
Sharpen chains? Nah, just toss it and slap on a new one.

I got my new saw today? I am going to fix the first one to give to my son. And I have already spent money on parts so it's a little late. Plus I am finding it a little fun, it's an inevpensive project that if goes well will give my son a lot of use. But thanks for the good advice I was just a little too late to take it now.
This is the seed for a Father/Son project. He learns the generosity of his Dad, appreciates it to the point the work is shared, and, he'll never screw up another engine. Win Win

Next, show him how to change the oil on his lawn mower...........

Son pays 70% because of living his life eyes and ears closed, dad pays 30% because did not provide adequate education. Now there is a new saw and old broken one.
On a windy and rainy winter evening dad and son gather together to warm and cosy garage and fix broken saw using parts dad bought. Now both have own saws.
I do not see a looser here.
and the game is on the 40", and the PC is searching, and the beer fridge is loaded, and MOM brings out some Chili, and sticks around for beer with the Boys....

The only real value is not in buying another machine given the cost to re-build, its in family working together.

You guys saying to just buy a new saw must have deep pockets.

Looks like a oem engine is about $100, aftermarket under 40. I agree, the crank is most likely compromised either from lack of oil or debris, or both.
If you can get all the OEM parts needed to properly repair that saw for $100 I would like to know where

This is the seed for a Father/Son project. He learns the generosity of his Dad, appreciates it to the point the work is shared, and, he'll never screw up another engine. Win Win

Next, show him how to change the oil on his lawn mower...........
NOW BUY HIM SAFETY CHAPS AND HELMET/ EYE/HEAD PROTECTION AND GLOVES FOR VIBRATION.

My son was doing some yard work cutting up a tree with a friend and were almost done. I had to leave for work, just for an hour, his friend's chainsaw quit running and he asked to borrow my brand new saw that I have never even started yet. I hesitated and tried to offer other options/suggestions but he kept coming back to wanting to use mine. So off to work I go. I get back and he tells me he has to buy me a new saw tomorrow because mine is shot. He filled it with straight gas, no oil, ran it until it stopped, almost a tank. I pulled the muffler and the piston is scarred up but will move, I did not try to start it.

I looked online and it seems it may be possible to buy various kits to "fix" it. Are there any guides on here? Does anyone have any suggestions on brands of parts to use or stay away from? Or certain places/vendors/people specifically to buy from or stay away from?

Any help would be great since I have never tried to do anything like this before.
This is why I have never loaned out one of my saws without handing someone a gas can and bar oil jug with it. You use MY fuel and oil or you don't use my saw. Period.

There are 2 sides to every story, I feel like we’re missing part of it.

Did you eventually LET him use your saw

Or

Did he start using it behind your back.

I feel like it’s the former and you didn’t include that.

If so, you replace your own saw. If the latter, he replaces it.

Lending comes with responsibility on your part to ensure that he knows how to use it and what fuel to use.
Yeah, no. My daughter would have known better from the age of twelve. He let him use the saw *properly*. (Though I'd have added "Use the gas in the can marked "Mom's saw"). Using something you're ignorant about, requires admitting that ahead of time, in case there's something you don't know. "Don't cut the red wire".

Just saying, if I ever decided to become a terrorist I would wire all my bombs with only white wires! Have fun disabling those!
Sadly, no wires were need in the worst terrorist action in US history. All they needed was some flight training, boxcutters, and a lot of jet fuel.

Well, the MS170 and MS180 are different displacements. So which one is this guy selling?
Dont know, dont care. If it were me, Id put a $40 aftermarket engine in it and call it a day. Doubt it will see/need any hard work anyway. My main (bleep) point was, its a new saw, you can repair it.

Latest posts

Back