Soooo, I went to the Mike Acres site this morn'....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkippyKtm

The Lorax, my FIL rip...
Reaction score
start a pool

And I found this:
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/673d78ec01557aea88256b00005457e6/d8d083a8d741e3db88256c9b00780d89?OpenDocument

Chainsaw Collectors Marketplace: COMPLETE CHAIN SAW COLLETION [Sell]

I was debating on whether to put this in the "I saw it on ebay" thread, but I thought this deserved its own thread.
Looks like a heckuva nice collection, I wish I had the dough...

--start a pool here, get enough for a down payment to keep him happy for a little while, once his price is met, have a lottery for each chainsaw in turn for the pool members (if they have equal stakes, if not, have to do proportional shares or multiple shares). Combine the big chainsaw lottery with a get together, or something like that.

The real question is..is the collection worth it?

Amazing collection Mike has there, shame he's selling it. I would think with a collection of that size its more of a (i have to) and not a (i want to) situation

Now for my favorite saying.....That is a mess of saws right there.

Awsome collection!
But...
25 000 $ for 150 saws, that's 167 $ each. Sure some are worth much more, but not all...
When you buy such a big lot, you expect to get a good rebate compared to the "per saw" price. Seems expensive to me...
Or maybe it's just that i'm cheap... (sure wish I had the beef to not be cheap!)

NOTE: It is not Mike Acres collection, seller's name is Bob Carruthers if you look at the information posted.

I'm sure Mike's personal collection is much large and more valuable.

Average price of $167 is probably very good, trouble is who can afford that many at once?

Mark

NOTE: It is not Mike Acres collection, seller's name is Bob Carruthers if you look at the information posted.

I'm sure Mike's personal collection is much large and more valuable.

Average price of $167 is probably very good, trouble is who can afford that many at once?

Mark

Beat me to it.:clap:

I don't think several of us together could afford Mike's personal collection, as he's been working on it since the early 60's. Even if we could come up with a decent price, he'd never sell.

Bob's collection is a nice one. I sold him a couple saws years ago and he was real good to deal with.

Somebody with deep pockets could buy the collection, cherry pick the saws they want, sell the ones they don't want, and on average pay a very reasonable price for the keepers.

The trick would be getting a fair price for the non-keepers.

Awsome collection!
But...
25 000 $ for 150 saws, that's 167 $ each. Sure some are worth much more, but not all...
When you buy such a big lot, you expect to get a good rebate compared to the "per saw" price. Seems expensive to me...
Or maybe it's just that i'm cheap... (sure wish I had the beef to not be cheap!)

I kinda was thinking the same thing. Although I'll be the first to admit that I buy saws to use, not to look at/collect, so Id never be the type who was in line to buy one like this but it does seem high to me.

Im sure he could piece-it off and get that much (or maybe more) but as a lot-set it seems like a lot of $$$

Where ya at on this one Larry? hehe

For that kind of coin, I would have to have a sit down with the fellow selling them. Who wants to go in halves? :)

RE Mikes collection

I have been away for a couple years.. actually 5 open knee surgerys and replacement/revisions.
I know this is an old post does anybody know if he sold this collection? What a beautiful group!
I will never be able to work the trees again but I can still enjoy picking a saw up and hearing her run...
I would have liked to have a poster of those with Mike signing it.. Silly I know but he is a great guy.:bowdown:
Larry
I

Back