Sooooo, I thought I would have enough... Then I ran out... Rant plus need advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1967 Tempest

1967 Tempest

ArboristSite Operative
SO I had scrounged juuuuuuuusssst over 4 cords of wood. Plus another cord I had of stuff that was too big. All dry. Cut split and stacked... Then I ran out. I called around for DRY firewood and I got a response of this stuff being dry and we can drop it off today.

They dropped it off and apologized for the massive amount of saw dust in the cord and gave me a bucket load full extra to make up the difference. It is a full cord, no complaints. But my wood which was sitting split for almost 6 months starts and burns fine. This stuff is slow to light and I have to keep the stove on high!!

I was made and then another guy called me back and said his was CSS from Hurricane Sandy. I said if you drop it off and its not dry, be prepared to come and get it. This stuff is better, but it is a lot of the bottom of the tree. So a lot of twists and odd shaped pieces. Starts a little faster than 1st cord, but not like i'm used to..

I have been getting by by mixing what little dry I have with this "moist" stuff. Thoughts?????

P.S. If I had known this I would have CSS 7 cord!!! I thought I had more, but I must have measured drunk..

woodchuck357

woodchuck357

Addicted to ArboristSite
Resplit it small and stack it inside close to the stove with a fan blowing warm air thru. You could try making a small klin, but it takes wood and electricty to run a klin.

woodchuck357

woodchuck357

Addicted to ArboristSite
Some are, some are softwood. The standard 40 X 48 are reusable and are worth 5 to 7 bucks in good shape, 1 to 3 when they need repair. Odd sizes can be found for free behind most stores.

stihlaficionado
I say if you have the room try to get 2 to 3 years ahead, heating with wood is a full time occupation.:havingarest:

Yes.

I'm two years ahead. But I also get as much wood as I want from a local arborist. Split, rounds, virtually all kinds in all shapes & sizes.

Don't know about your area but you may have to venture far afield to hunt down seasoned wood & pay a premium price.

NSMaple1

NSMaple1

Addicted to ArboristSite
What are you heating that you used 4 cords already? I'm just curious. If you had known before you ran out you could have bought some not so dry and mixed it in.

I read 5 cords burned already. At that rate, he'd need 12 cords for the winter.

OP - are you sure wood burning is for you? That is a huge amount of wood, especially for an insert - you will soon become a slave to it, year round. You must have a big house with no insulation?

olyman
I've been keeping the house at 78° since October. Plus i split it a hair on the small side. Burns nice...
the hotter you run the house,,esp above 69 degrees,, you will burn wayyyyyy more wood to keep that temp....as you have learned......try keeping it at 69. if it feels cold,,get a humidifier.......