Sorting wood from multiple fallers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always preferred working by scale, or by count. Gives a man incentive to get as much as possible done. I don't even mind working by the acre if I have to.
Most folks have a tendency to work on cruise control when working by the hour. Do enough that no one accuses them of chasing the dog, but there's a lot left on the table.
Some of the guy's that have worked for me, I've worked with before and I know they could produce more. Everyone seems to like to work by the hour these days.
Day pay, and hourly is generally figured on an average. I have always been able to produce above average in quantity and quality. So I don't like settling for average, and I don't want to be associated with anything that's mediocre.

Andy

Yep, you got the handful of nickels right .... I started my day by getting pulled over for speeding, 66 in a 55 mph zone. Get to the job site and put the bear claws on the skidder and we see a county truck pass by and hit its brakes. They turned around and pulled in and start telling me that I needed some kind of permit since log trucks are entering the job site and leaving it, which I never heard of but its the first time I logged in this county. Then they start measuring my skidder to see if its over width. Pretty bizzare. So I gave them the number for the timber buyer on the job. He calls me up later and says "You should of told them to get lost" So I finally get to dropping some trees, put a big basswood down. I get it choked up for the skidder and it brakes the 10 ft choker. So I rap two eight footers around it then it brakes a eight foot choker. Crazy thing is I still love my job and cant see doing anything else. Good to hear its working out for you bitzer.

I always preferred working by scale, or by count. Gives a man incentive to get as much as possible done. I don't even mind working by the acre if I have to.
Most folks have a tendency to work on cruise control when working by the hour. Do enough that no one accuses them of chasing the dog, but there's a lot left on the table.
Some of the guy's that have worked for me, I've worked with before and I know they could produce more. Everyone seems to like to work by the hour these days.
Day pay, and hourly is generally figured on an average. I have always been able to produce above average in quantity and quality. So I don't like settling for average, and I don't want to be associated with anything that's mediocre.

Andy

There isn't a lot of busheling any more around here. There aren't that many boots on the ground, either. The machinery guys are all hourly but with the competition for jobs they usually put out a good amount of work.
Most of the fallers are day wage and once they know what's expected of them they seem to do alright. Again, it's a case of too many men for the available jobs and if they're on a good show they want to stay working.

But you're right too...there was always a little more hustle when you're working by the foot.

To be accurate you either need the strips sorted so they can be scaled on the landing . Or scale every log in the brush . As you have lots of short logsscaling every one of them in the brush would be too time consuming. . Sounds like keeping the strips seperated on the landing works good as long as the landing is big enough .

Last edited:
To be accurate you either need the strips sorted so they can be scaled on the landing . Or scale every log in the brush . As you have lots of short logsscaling every one of them in the brush would be too time consuming. . Sounds like keeping the strips seperated on the landing works good as long as the landing is big enough .

Yay, you're back! Post more of them Alaskanian pictures please.

There isn't a lot of busheling any more around here. There aren't that many boots on the ground, either. The machinery guys are all hourly but with the competition for jobs they usually put out a good amount of work.
Most of the fallers are day wage and once they know what's expected of them they seem to do alright. Again, it's a case of too many men for the available jobs and if they're on a good show they want to stay working.

But you're right too...there was always a little more hustle when you're working by the foot.

Yeah, I have a hard time accepting change sometimes...well, ok, most of the time.
Those were some good day's..............Ok, now let's see what we can make happen tomorrow. :chainsaw:

Andy

Yeah, I have a hard time accepting change sometimes...well, ok, most of the time.
Those were some good day's..............Ok, now let's see what we can make happen tomorrow. :chainsaw:

Andy

Yup, I know what you mean. This business has changed so much and so fast that a guy had better keep up or he'll get left in the dust. We don't have to like it, and sometimes I sure as hell don't, but we have to be able to adjust.

It's easy Bob. Just look for the fiber pull and logs that look like they're cut by a green faller. Them would be mine!

I started cutting that big timber job this afternoon. Some really nice red and white oak. A lot of em bar length or better on the stump (my bar length). Definitely a woods to bring yer "A" game too. I hope you can get out there before I dump all those pickles.

Latest posts

Back