southern crabapple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkottemann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My wild southern crapapples (Malus angistafolia) in south mississippi did not produce apples this year. this is the first time I can remember this happening. Fire blight is not present. there are some brown spots appearing on the leaves. I noticed this mid-summer. the browing appears to be in the vascular system of the leaf not topical. So, any ideas on what this could be? Also, for future care during Summer, Winter, Spring, and Fall, what are some fertilizers which aid fruit production in fruiting trees?

Please post pictures. It is very easy to misinterpret information without them.

Southern crabapple, Malus angustifolia, is susceptible to rust as are most of the native species. But without photos, that is just a guess.

As to no fruit production, what climatic events occurred during blooming this year? (For example, here in Montana a late freeze can wipe out whole crops of orchard fruit.) I realize southern Miss may not have freezes, but what else was going on at blooming time?

Severe pruning will stimulate vegetative growth that will interrupt the flowering/fruiting process. Also tip pruning after bud set (around the beginning of June) could remove most of the buds for the next season's flowers...so was anything done to this tree LAST YEAR?

Sylvia

Last edited:
Please post pictures. It is very easy to misinterpret information without them.

Southern crabapple, Malus angustifolia, is susceptible to rust as are most of the native species. But without photos, that is just a guess.

As to no fruit production, what climatic events occurred during blooming this year? (For example, here in Montana a late freeze can wipe out whole crops of orchard fruit.) I realize southern Miss may not have freezes, but what else was going on at blooming time?

Severe pruning will stimulate vegetative growth that will interrupt the flowering/fruiting process. Also tip pruning after bud set (around the beginning of June) could remove most of the buds for the next season's flowers...so was anything done to this tree LAST YEAR?

Sylvia

Adequate pollination is essential to fruit yield. All fruit trees need to be pollinated. Without sufficient pollination, they may blossom abundantly but will not bear fruit.

Also, check this out from Edmond L. Marrotte, Consumer Horticulturist, Department of Plant Science, University of Connecticut.

"Biennial Bearing
Occasionally certain fruit trees, such as apples, bear heavily one year and sparsely the next. This is called biennial bearing. The buds of most hardy fruit trees have been set during the previous summer. Therefore, an especially heavy crop one year may prevent adequate bud formation for the following year. Biennial bearing is difficult to alter or correct. However, it is possible to induce a return to normal yearly fruit production by early and heavy thinning during the year in which the trees are producing their large yield."

Just a thought but if you're concerned about the fertilizing get a soil test done first, I remember reading somewhere that fertilizers with higher Potassium and Phosphorous content with low to no nitrogen content helped produce fruit. Maybe it's possible theres a link to the change in your leaves and the lack of fruit being nutrient deficiency?

David

Back