Southern Illinois

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Illinois

Oh, I just thought it would be fun to talk to someone in my area with the same interests. I'm in southern Illinois.

Where abouts in Southern Illinois? I spent 7 years at Carbondale in Forestry School. Worked part of a year for House Tree Service over toward Carterville. Grew up in West Central Illinois, around Macomb and Galesburg.

Beautiful country around Giant City, Devil's Kitchen and over to the Garden of the Gods area.

Bob Underwood, In the hills of ND now.

i started climbing when i was in school in C'dale, the company i worked for no longer exists, and most of my friends and associates are long gone. Just the nature of a college town... I agree with Bob about Garden of the God's, etc. Kinkaid Spillway was another favorite place after a good rain. Worst ticks in the Shawnee NF that I have ever encountered.

CoyDog
When were you in Carbondale? Kinkaid was just starting to fill when I left. We went to Crab Orchard spillway to party. Who did you climb for down there? A company or just school. Was Fralish still teaching urban forestry classes. I helped him teach the first one in about 1969.

Will I see you at TCI?

Bob Underwood, MSU-Bottineau.

I went to SIU... I was resource mgt but now an urban forester.

Fralish doesn't teach anymore.

ALmost all the old professors are gone... you wouldn't recognized it anymore. Phelps is still the dept. chair

SIU has won the midwestern conclave 10 years in a row. WHen is someone gonna beat us? We always bring more people than anyone else and no one gets tired... thats the secret.

I lived in Cdale between 94-99 and studied sculpture,specialized in metal casting and woodcarving. nevr took a forestry or arboriculture class, my loss. Started climbing for a guy early on, he was a little nuts, but we had a lot of fun. It was the sort of atypical intro to treework that would get most rookies shouted down on this forum. He had the equipment and the knowledge but an injured shoulder and no climber. Met him through a friend, and performed some pretty daunting climbing jobs my first week of work, having never climbed professionally before. Took apart a lightning exploded 80' 100+ year old tulip poplar my 2nd or 3rd day. makes me shudder to think about it. I was careful and never got hurt, and we never gaffed a prune job or topped a tree. I had a lot of previous experience handling a saw through my woodcarving and had been in and out of trees since I was two, I caught on pretty quick. He would bid all kinds of technical jobs then tell me how to do them. Not the kind of intro I would recommend to a beginner now that I'm a little more savvy, but wouldn't trade it for nothin.
You won't see me at TCI this year, I'm relocating to Portland,OR at the end of the month, where I have a climbing job waiting for me.
cheers
Joe Markovich

Latest posts

Back