Spark Arresting Screen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's such a shame there are so many crooked repair shops out there... this is another case of fraud... it is very difficult to prove.. It gives you an idea of the mechanical knowledge of the supposed mechanic/technician that worked on this saw...anyone who reguraly services 2 cycles knows that when an engine won't take throttle,bogs and is quiet that the exhaust is plugged!! he should go back and demand a full refund.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Seems like I am reading more and more stories about Stihl dealers ripping people off.

Heck when I got those two new saws (250 and 261) over the last couple months I got extra muffler for them and MM'ed both of them with in week's of getting them

PSSST don't tell anyone but none of my saw's have spark screens :msp_smile:

Your secret is safe with me. Everybody else reading this might rat us out and send the naughty police after us.:hmm3grin2orange:

You obviously have never spent much time with a running saw in your hands or you have very poor eyesight. I'm not saying you can't take the screen out if you want to but the bs meter goes off when you say a saw doesn't produce sparks from an unscreened exhaust.

I have never seen it happen, not saying it doesn't happen but unless your cutting in a straw field or a grain elevator I wouldn't get my feathers ruffled.

It seems there was a post recently that identified where one might buy the screen, other than at the dealer (in sheets) anyone have a clue. I'm in the process of trying to make a dual port and would love to be able to fit the screen myself.
Thanks in advance for any information.

There was a very detailed post (by mtngun, I think) that outlined how much the screen restricts aitflow. A real eye-opener!

If I remember correctly...it was just bought at any big box hardware store(s)

Just want to get tight mesh stainless steel screen.

You might have to 'run the gauntlet' in your area to find what you prefer..

Lowe's...Home Depot...True Value...Ace Hardware...etc
:cheers:
J2F

I ran that 'gauntlet' around here and came up nearly empty. The one source hardware store I found with some wanted outrageous money. I bought a 1' x 1' piece on eBay for like $9 shipped.

I ran that 'gauntlet' around here and came up nearly empty. The one source hardware store I found with some wanted outrageous money. I bought a 1' x 1' piece on eBay for like $9 shipped.
Sorry ya didn't find any locally for a fair price..guess not much demand..??

Still..you got a GREAT deal on it off Ebay....$9 shipped sounds very good indeed.

Thanks for letting AS members know where to go to get it if they want it..!!
:cheers:
J2F

While going thru a lady friends Stihl 009 I tried everything to clean the plugged spark arrestor screen. Soaked it in carb cleaner, scraped it, put it on an anvil and tapped it with a hammer trying to break up the carbon. Nothing worked.

I needed some other parts, so I took the screen went to the local Stihl dealer.

While I was paying for the parts their mechanic walked by, picked up the screen and said why don't you just clean it? I told him what I'd tried and he said what he does is heat it up with a propane torch untill it glows and then brush the carbon off with wire brush.

I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good.

I run most of my saws w/o screens. But this little 009 with out the screen is so loud that it will make your eyes water. I think the screen is 90% of the muffler.

I have never seen it happen, not saying it doesn't happen but unless your cutting in a straw field or a grain elevator I wouldn't get my feathers ruffled.

If you've never seen it happen then I stand by my statement. I've seen some fires in the woods around here started from saws and when the wind starts whipping the flames around I would bet your feathers would be ruffled too.

I have seen several fires caused by saws in this area. I got my lesson when the local Ranger stopped to visit us while we were bucking and loading . He was very polite he found a hole in a my buddies muffler on his 372, it all came out to about a $250.00 ticket. So do as you please, just make sure your exhaust set up is right, like the man said especially on Federal land, it can be expensive otherwise.

Carbon build up is easily cleaned from any part of a saw with oven cleaner. Spray on and wait a minute or two, then wipe off. Tar etc.... also.

Back