Spark, fire, coil test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carym2a

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
OK, I giveup, well not really I need help, I've been rebuilding a 394XP and seem to have no fire, so what I need to know is how to ck the coil with a multimeter, I'm coming up with Continuity between the coil and any part of the saw, this even with the kill switch disconnected. I'm thinking bad coil, I'm I on the right path? thanks

Well sorta depends on how much continuity. The power lead should have some small resistance to it, 200 - 1000 ohm as a guess off the top of my head, and the spark plug lead should be way higher, 10,000 - 50,000 ohms, again a guess. But if the power lead is a low ohm say round 1 - 3 ohm it's shorted out and same with the spark plug lead.

For a quick check, I stick a screwdriver in the plug wire and give turn the saw over. If I feel a tingle but can still not see a spark when the plug is grounded to case I check to make sure the coil has a good ground. Primary side of coil should have around 200v and secondary in the Kvolts. if you dont get a good spark at plug gap of .20 then coil is probably shot. This is the problem I have with my Stihl 028 and am looking for a cheap coil. Once you get spark you shouldn,t do the shock test.

Found its just burned up failed all tests, replaced it and now she runs, and on to kit the carb.

Latest posts

Back