Spark Plug?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of colder plugs, my saw specs a NGK BPMR7A which is what I am running. I figured since I only have a muff mod and richened the carb, the stock is ok, but may want to go one step colder depending on how it goes. After pulling the plug for pics, I put a new one in, we will see how it looks after a few runs.

If I do go colder, what plug should I run? I forget how the heat ranges go......thanks

Those minor mods would certainly not make you want to run a colder plug. It will just foul up on you more readily, IMO.

NGK BPMR7A I run in all my saws and have run them in many 2 strokes for years. Some modified, some not. You are fine right where you're at :)!

1. Brand of plug makes not a shred of difference, the tired "Champion plugs don't work properly" nonsense was thrown out with the trash along with all the other old fish-wives tales long ago.

2. That plug looks about as pretty much perfect as ya can get.

possibly a little too rich though

:agree2::agree2::agree2:now :givebeer:

You could go to a Champion RCJ6Y. That plug is only 1/2 a heat range cooler than the BPMR7A. I use it because it has a thicker thread base and the nose is slightly more extended than the NGK plug. It gives me a tad more compression, especially when I remove the base gasket.

It hasn't given me any fouling problems.

You could go to a Champion RCJ6Y. That plug is only 1/2 a heat range cooler than the BPMR7A. I use it because it has a thicker thread base and the nose is slightly more extended than the NGK plug. It gives me a tad more compression, especially when I remove the base gasket.

It hasn't given me any fouling problems.

ooooo, that's an idea....thanks

Simple - NGK in a two stroke , last a long time .
I put E-3's in my 55 and 272xp , they cut about 15 face cords each and were done . POS in my opinion .

I have always ran a ngk plug in anything high revving. I put a champion in my kx 100 a long time ago, thing never would run right. Switched it to a ngk and it ran great! Thats just me though.

The good ole "Don't bother using Champions, they're no good" thing started way back when Joe Blog couldn't start his chainsaw because the Champion plug in it just so happened to be rooted for one reason or another at the time. Joe then decided to put in a brand-new NGK plug and presto! All good. Joe then looked at the brand name, then decided that NGK's are a better plug than Champions.... the rest is history. (Joes NGK plug died eventually and he had to replace with a Champion which ran flawlessly right until the day Joe dropped dead on the kitchen floor. But that's another story that was never told) :Eye:

Higher the number colder the plug I believe. I don't know if you can finder a colder resistor plug than that. I havent looked looked, but don't think Ive seen any....and it may not have to be a resistor. Im sure the BPMR7A will be fine, Ive ran them in some pretty hot saws.

Higher colder japanese...Higher hotter american

FWIW never could find a diff in rpm or fouling when running the right heat range and style of plug. My tach could not tell Champion, Autolite,Denso or NGK apart. Comparing apples to apples (price and components) does anyone have documentation of a diff? or is it all "..... is better" ancedotal stories.

I have run narrow core irridium in older ATV's and bikes to save wear on ignition parts. There was no performance difference. I can't even prove the claim they are easier on ignition parts......

The good ole "Don't bother using Champions, they're no good" thing started way back when Joe Blog couldn't start his chainsaw because the Champion plug in it just so happened to be rooted for one reason or another at the time. Joe then decided to put in a brand-new NGK plug and presto! All good. Joe then looked at the brand name, then decided that NGK's are a better plug than Champions.... the rest is history. (Joes NGK plug died eventually and he had to replace with a Champion which ran flawlessly right until the day Joe dropped dead on the kitchen floor. But that's another story that was never told) :Eye:

Exactly and I like the easy to remember Champion number system as well. Smaller number is colder.

Higher colder japanese...Higher hotter american

FWIW never could find a diff in rpm or fouling when running the right heat range and style of plug. My tach could not tell Champion, Autolite,Denso or NGK apart. Comparing apples to apples (price and components) does anyone have documentation of a diff? or is it all "..... is better" ancedotal stories.

I have run narrow core irridium in older ATV's and bikes to save wear on ignition parts. There was no performance difference. I can't even prove the claim they are easier on ignition parts......

Not surprising to me.

Some guys just have to be different though.

Anyone have cold start issues with the Bosch plugs that Stihl now requests?. They are fine once hot, but don't like cold starts. Time to go back to NGK.

I was trying to get an old Homelite "Bandit SX135" weed whacker going the other day. It had been setting dormant for probably 10 years. A guy gave it to me and said it wouldn't run. He had tried to fix it but it wouldn't start. I found the engine had a Blue Wasp mud dauber nest inside the exhaust outlet.

The engine had a new Autolite 255 plug from the previous owner? With this plug the engine would fire but was contrary to get to pick up and run, once up to speed, it was fine. I eventually changed to a Champion RCJ7Y. It made all the difference in the starting as now, once it fires, it revs up and goes but no faster top end than with the other plug. The Champion is an extended tip plug and the Autolite was not.

I think the Autolite 255 references to a Champion CJ8? Who knows trying to read the cross reference charts?

The Champion RCJ7Y is more like a NGK BPMR7A or Bosch WSR6 which are all the standard present day chainsaw plug.

Personal experience here - I will NEVER have any engine with a Champion plug again, after a center electrode dropped out of a new Champion Platinum and dusted a 3.8 GM V-6 of mine.

Bosch or NGK in 2 strokes, Delco in the 4 strokers. Perhaps one day one of those will fail on me and I'll blacklist them as well. I just don't have time or money for a $5 part to wreck a $4000 engine, or even a $10 garage sale saw motor.

20-80

My vote for ngk or ac delco or bosch is based on 20% champaion failer on my farthers truck back in the early 80's i was too young to remember details but he still wont use them eithier and the other 80% that champion can stick it is that i worked for a machine shop that specalized in thread form dies that our customer would then use to eithier cut or press the thread form into there product. champion was a very large customer of ours champion pulled their orders and moved them to india and now ireland from what i hear which was the first nail in the door as for the shop closed down in 02 being bought out by the company in ireland. I am sure they perform fair but i will never buy them my 460 came with one when i bought it and i asked the dealer to swicth it out for anything else

Latest posts

Back