Spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when i was in school (auto tech) in arizona, we were in a performence class, and in the middle of a dyno run, i went to advance the timming ever so slightly, the motor has a MSD digital 10 system with 2 coils... i sat on the floor for probably 10 minutes before i got my marbles back into place enough to get up.... damn worn out spark plug wire boots!

Fun isent it.

I knocked myself out trying to time a jacked up assed f250.

Well... i really just knocked myself silly after jettisoning my self from the engine compartment after recieving a nasty jolt from reaching in between 2 plug wires...

spark testing

Using your hand to test the spark is useful when buying a saw, but not tuning one. It will tell you that it has a little spark, or a lot of spark, or no spark at all. I haven't met anyone who could gauge 90% of spark with their fingers! (you probably lose the nerve endings by the time you get that experienced.)

Believe it or not, I spend $3 at Harbor Freight and bought a spark tester. It is useful because it has a pneumatic plunger, that lets you test the spark performance under pressure. Given, the quality indicates that it will last me about a year, but at $3, that's ok.

Just do yourself a favor: don't buy any other tools while you're there!

I'm sure you can buy a pressure-tester by a reputible brand somewhere.

The regular-old inline spark testers are also very useful.

If you don't have a spark tester, you can bend the electrode of a known good plug up to about a 45 degree angle. If the spark makes the gap, then you've probably got a good coil.

Latest posts

Back