Sparks from ice? (Noob Q)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedShift42

Some guy
Reaction score
Homer, AK-- Former home of the bark beetle
Last week I got the urge to cut down a few of the stumps that stick out of the lake in front of my house. On several occasions I'm certain I saw a few stray sparks come out of the cut. Each time I examined the wood and found no signs of metal. No obvious chain damage, either.

Is airborne ocular poisoning a possible consequence of not using synthetic oil? Was the heady experience of using my new 025 causing hallucinations?
Perhaps the blistering performance of a Stihl causes spontaneous combustion?

Those are my best guesses. Anybody have something more informed?

Thanx!
-Eric.

Conditions:
15*F & dry, evening light, sawing frozen soaked wood, reasonably sharp Stihl safety chain in good condition, plenty of bar oil.

Last edited:
The chain spinning around the bar makes small sparks that can be seen in low light conditions.

Besides what joesawer mentioned, if there is an exposed bank and/or road nearby dirt/gravel will get blown across a lakes surface if the ice is clear of snow (I never use my hand ice auger near a roadside...). If you were cutting at ice level this can also cause sparks.

Yup, I'm suddenly feeling like complete noob moron.

Better get used to the feeling. I've been here for a good while and I still occasionally ask that question or make that post that I wish I could go back and erase.

Welcome to AS btw.
Ian

Better get used to the feeling. I've been here for a good while and I still occasionally ask that question or make that post that I wish I could go back and erase.

Welcome to AS btw.
Ian

Same here and there is a way to cancel the post. After it posts, at the bottom of it there is an 'edit' (could be a 'modify') button. Hit that and you can change or erase the post.

Of course reality sucks. By the time you want to do it, it is too late :cry:

Harry K

Same here and there is a way to cancel the post. After it posts, at the bottom of it there is an 'edit' (could be a 'modify') button. Hit that and you can change or erase the post.

Of course reality sucks. By the time you want to do it, it is too late :cry:

Harry K

Yep, by that time someone has replied to it, or even worse.. quoted it. LOL

Ian

Latest posts

Back