Spent a good day with my father

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davej_07

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What could be better that spanding a day with my dad, me running the saws and he running the splitter?
We tore thru a cord of maple and another 1/2 cord of cherry/apple. Im already starting on our 2011 stacks and THAT is a great feeling.

Dave

That's excellent...I always enjoy a day out in the woods cuttin and splittin w/ my Father. Pretty strange that some roles have changed...I'm now telling him don't try and pick up that piece it's too heavy...here I'll run the big saw etc, you run the splitter handle I'll move the rounds to the splitter...etc...

Very hard to top that day! Enjoy the time.

My Father and I spent many hours (likely Thousands) cutting, hauling and splitting. He was always around my place to help pile. I can say it was the best time we spent together.
He passed away July 27 2009 at 76 years old. He fought cancer for 15 years and always had time to help me.
Enjoy the time together, take lots of pictures and tell him how great it is to be with him.

I never worked much with my dad cutting wood. He has a piece of a splitting wedge in his arm and when he came home from the hospital my mom had a oil furnace in the basement. I have cut quite a bit around the farm and he has come out and helped me load, and run the chainsaw a few times, but he has a bad back and can't be on uneven ground for long periods of time. I still go to him for some words of wisdom, and he has given me pointers. The first time I saw him run a chainsaw was 2 years ago when a friend and I took a big ash out of the yard. We had it down to about a 5 ft stump and dad wanted to finish it off. I gave him my friends 056 AV and he ran it left handed. I had never seen that before, wierd.

I did a lot of work with my dad on the farm as a kid and a teenager. He is responsible for my interest in farming, and the medical field. I got my work ethic from him. We did everything we could ourselves or knew someone who could help or teach us so it raised my interest in becoming self sufficient.

Kyle

My dad and I used to cut split wood together. The hard way though,no wood splitter then. He has burned wood as long as I can remember and still does. I have to get wood for the most part along now. He will be 92 this month. He still goes with me sometimes to watch. I do have a wood splitter now. Sure makes it a lot easier.
Cherish the moments.

My dad, Brother and I spent quite a bit of time in the woods. Sometimes the neighbor boys would come down and pitch in, other times we would go up there. When I got married, my wife joined us in the woods, and we even got a good laugh when she split her first piece of wood. (We hid behind the trees about 30 ft away). Since she had our son, it is just dad and I out in the woods again *(Like old times) but as another had mentioned, the roles have switched, I use the "Big boy saw" and he totes his 174 around freely and will attack anything that he can get it through. We never had a splitter, but that has always been my job, since from the time I was 12, I have been bigger than dad. Now I just have to split the pieces smaller. He will be 72 this year, but he still gets around better than most people half his age, now he just doesn't get around as long as he used to, but it is still quality time.

I do have to work on getting some pictures to keep the memories for anyone else, but the lessons learned and the wisdom shared from both of us is always going to be there.

My dad was diagnosed with colon cancer in April and hes going thru the chemo now. It was a wake up call for all of us. Ive been out of work(sheetmetal worker by trade) since April so Ive been able to be there to help them whenever it was necessary. I like to look at it as God laid me off because he knew my parents would need my help now more than ever. I do cherish the time I have with him and hope to be splitting wood with him for many years to come.

Dave

That's excellent...I always enjoy a day out in the woods cuttin and splittin w/ my Father. Pretty strange that some roles have changed...I'm now telling him don't try and pick up that piece it's too heavy...here I'll run the big saw etc, you run the splitter handle I'll move the rounds to the splitter...etc...

It was kind of a sad day a while back when I realized that the roles were changing too. My dad wanted me to come cut some maples last weekend that his neighbor wanted out of their yard. I got there and his 028 wouldn't run so he grabbed my 044 "Leave that one alone", so he grabbed my 260 and dropped a tree on one of his neighbors decrative trees. I asked him to go sit down while I got the rest of them down around the house. He still did a good job with the loader and pulling the trees and telling me to be careful while I was climbing some of them to hook up cables. Still....quality time.

I've enjoyed reading your posts on Dads. Mine passed away July 11, 1991, about a month after I graduated high school. He taught me the enjoyment and satisfaction of burning wood, along with many other things. He was a surgeon and his friends cringed at him risking his valuable hands with saws and a splitter. Great memories of the times we spent together doing firewood, thanks for the posts. We all need to be sure to spend time putting up wood with our kids to pass the traditions on.
Steve

I feel lucky to have a great father in great shape too. He's 60 and just retired early. He was always a dairy farmer at heart I think, but his father sent him to college to get a degree in engineering when it became clear farming certainly wasn't getting any easier. He even came back to the farm after college for about five years, but when it became clear he couldn't make enough to support a family, his uncle and he sold the herd.

After a good white collar career he's now retired and does a ton for me, since I'm attempted to renovate the farmhouse. I've helped him harvest wood for his house since I was old enough to walk, and it is a little wierd now when he points at a big chunk and tells me to lift it.

Only probably because my mom would yell at him if he hurt himself. We split everything by hand and he swings a maul better than I do. I can hit a little harder but he's much more accurate and can read end grain a lot better than me. I think both of us like working in the woods maybe even more than we admit. After selling about 7 cords of what we cut last year he's getting all excited to start cutting again this year, and it's not even November yet!

The roles do reverse. I find my self saying to him things like “Quit drinking all my beer” and “Are you going to work today or what”. He lives up the road from me so we see each other almost every day. I am glad to say that he has always been one of my closest friends.

I've been cutting and splitting wood with my dad since I was a little kid, he's 70 now and still gets up in the woods to cut and stack about 5 cords a year. About a quarter cord at a time, all summer and fall, until his woodshed is full. When I was little, it was all done in a couple long weekends. He just bought a new (to him) Jeep to get around in the woods with - last Jeep he owned was a 1974 CJ and that's sitting in my driveway now. We don't cut or split together much anymore, although we live next door to each other. He likes to work in the woods on sunny weekdays and save his weekends for other stuff, and all I have is weekends. We share a log splitter and pretty much share 30 acres of hardwoods. He cuts standing dead stuff and I like to practice some amateur forest management and take out culls and splits and worry about species and spacing and things like that. We'll only work together now when there's a tree that is too big for him to handle.

Almost brings a tear to my eye reading these stories.

My Dad is now 90 and although for most of his life has been a bull ox.
With the several little strokes ,diabetes and numberous other set backs he's reverted to that kid stage.
I do all I can to get him out fishing or hunting.
He was almost done deer hunting until we found a place that could cater to his needs...what a Godsend!
Heated deer stand with and electric elevator.
You see he fell out of a stand a few years ago...I guess my steps were too far apart and after missing the last step at the top he's hangin by his fingernails.Then he fell.I later found a fingernail in the plywood ...good grip .
Well as he's sitting in the hospital getting ready for a double hurnia surgery...the young gal is getting ready to shave his lower area. She say's ..my that's a big one.
He looks down and then at her and says...well thankyou.
She blushed and he laughed...he still has his sense of humor!

Anyway taking time to be with our Dad's who taught us everything we needed to know to fly on our own...now being that they can not do what they used to it is my job at least to make sure he get's every last ounce of joy that is left in these last years.
Here's my Dad...."Pops"
DSC03282.jpg

Mine has been gone since June of 2000,still miss the hell out of him but I'm remodeling my house( the one I grew up in and bought off mom 5 years ago,he had remodeled in the early 70's) I told mom the other day that some of the stuff I've run into,if he was here I'd kill him.Somewhere up above me,He's laughing hard enough at me that he has tears in his eyes saying it lasted as long as he needed it to.Thanks for the chance to remember. Scott

I remember being out gettin firewood with my pop when I was thirteen or so. It was the first time I ever drove .......... he put me behind the wheel of his 73 Chevy truck to collect all our piles. Good times ! Wish I had him back for one more day of that.

My dad passed away in 2005, just a few years after retirement. I never got to cut firewood with him, but one of the things he really enjoyed in his last few years was cutting & splitting firewood with his buddies at a campground he helped manage. The rest of the family was a bit concerned with this activity, as some form of parkinsons was taking his speech, balance and arm strength. On his last day with us he was on his way home from the campground when his small SUV left the road, rolled and spread it’s contents 100’s of feet across a farm field. His MS210,440 and spares were out laying on the field along with him. The saws faired better than he did. Months later at his estate auction even though I had no interest in cutting firewood, I picked up his MS210 and splitter-now 4 years later I’ve got 5 saws, 13 cord out back and a couple stoves installed in the house. I even think a few of those splits out back are ones he processed. The torch was somehow passed on that fateful day…..

Like everyone has said, enjoy it as much as you can now. I cut and split with my dad and another old timer for many years when I was younger and got laid off every winter. Every day was 2 pickup loads cut, split and stacked, and to the local tavern for lunch and a beer or 3 by noon. At the time, I looked at it as work, now looking back it was some dang good quality time with a couple great guys that are no longer with us.

It was actually a good system, Dad dropping the trees, Gene dragging them out on his old 70 John Deere, and me bucking and brushing. Once they had enough cut for the day, they'd start loading and splitting the smaller stuff, then by the time I was done bucking, I could lift the big stuff onto the splitter! More often than not, I cut alone now, and sure miss the conversation and stories told.

Dad always said he didn't want to die laying in a hospital bed. He got his wish. He had a heart attack and died while feeding his pigs, on the farm he spent his whole life on, and was 78 when he died. I only hope to be as lucky. He's been gone 8 years now, and I still think about him all the time.

I sure do enjoy spending time with my dad. He no longer burns wood but he stilll loves to go help me. We went two weekends ago and cut 2 big locust trees. He still wants to do all of the felling though. I am 31 years old and still waiting to show him I do know how to drop a tree. I do love having him along though.

My dad was diagnosed with colon cancer in April and hes going thru the chemo now. It was a wake up call for all of us. Ive been out of work(sheetmetal worker by trade) since April so Ive been able to be there to help them whenever it was necessary. I like to look at it as God laid me off because he knew my parents would need my help now more than ever. I do cherish the time I have with him and hope to be splitting wood with him for many years to come.

Dave

So sorry to hear that I hope all goes well for your dad and he makes a full recovery. My prayers got out for him and your family.
Bill

Latest posts

Back