Spider webs ? in locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregz

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I planted a Locust a few years ago. It was tossed in a empty lot at new subdivision so I threw it my pickup and planted it. I'm surprised it's growing fast
Anyhow the end leaves or turning brown ,upclose looks like spider are webbing or something?? Any preventing to this
Thanks
gregz

stuffz210.jpg

Here is the tree it was only about 8' 4 years ago

stuffz211.jpg

Greg, Take a look at this link:

http://woodypests.cas.psu.edu/factsheets/insectfactsheets/html/Mimosa_Webworm.html

and see if you think this is your problem. If so, I would remove any infested tissue and dispose of it to reduce the population.

Do you know if your honeylocust, Gleditsia triacanthos, is a Sunburst cultivar? (It would come out brilliant yellow in the spring, gradually turning green.)

Evidently the Mimosa webworm is a serious, or at least persistant, pest of the honeylocust in your neck of the woods. Other links spoke of specific chemical control, but I always like to go without where I can. I used "Mimosa webworm" to come up with several extension links if you want more information.

Honeylocust grow extremely fast and are very hardy, so your tree surviving early abuse and abandonment but then thriving in your care is not unexpected.

Good luck.

Sylvia

Back