Spiking Palms

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Climbing a Coconut

I do it everday without spikes, gaffs, or any tools. I can climb any tree. I'm born and raised in Sumatra and have climbed cocos since I was a baby.

Budi

Spurless palm cleaning is a subject I am greatly interested in and then I looked at the dates on the early posts....

This guy a voodoo zombie witch doctor or something....

Barefoot climbing

I'm perplexed about your replies. I am a female friend of Budi and business owner in Kihei. Budi is a man who climbs like a monkey with his bare feet. He cuts my cocos at my hostel in Kihei and has wrapped my 50' trees with cable lights that look amazing all lit up. How he climbs, is a skill. Why are you replying with such sarcasm and critisizm. I posted this because I think it's amazing and none of you who talk to each other can climb without tools. The responses are really mean, and unnecessarily critical. He has a skill and talent any arborist would love to have the strength to do. I'm going to make a youtube video of his amazing talent so all can see how to climb and cut fronds with ease without spikes. I guess most Guys are so critical when someone can do what they can not. ???? Lighten up! Tracy

I thought you could throw a line over the canopy and climb up on that. Sure I have climbed palms... on vacation. No I don't do it for a job but if I did from what I hear the last thing I would do is approach from the bottom on the trunk.

This guy a voodoo zombie witch doctor or something....

I looked at this and realised it could be mistaken for abuse.

I was referring to the age of the post. Back to life after 6 years the way zombies come back to life..... Too much Vincent Price as a boy I guess....

Anyway, I have seen footage of barefoot Samoan palm climbers. They have some serious skills and muscle power. Just not my climbing style.

:cheers:

Would Lazarus Spike?

I wonder if Koa Man is still monitoring this Lazarus thread? Is anybody else using India Climbers? Koa Man, I'll take you up on your challenge; and you need not pay air fare. I am on the Big Island. One caveat, if you give me a truly nasty coco to climb, will you stand by with the spider lift in case I get stuck and need my mommy?

Budi: In India they have a saying "Many men climb trees. Some fall."

:deadhorse:

It was brought to my attention that this old thread was resurrected. I am now using a 15GT and 23GT on the palms that require spikeless trimming. I have over 300 coconut palms that require spikeless trimming every 3 months at 4 different hotels in Waikiki. These lifts are used on even ones that can be spiked if I can get the lift to them.

I am no longer interested in other means of climbing palms without spikes as I am pretty sure they will be slower than a spider lift, especially since I can usually hit about 3 from one location and in some areas, up to 7.

1st photo is the 23GT at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.
2nd photo is the 15GT at the Grand Waikikian.

yeah, I like that Koa man. Spider lift. I live in So. Calif. and I spike up tall ass Washingtonian all the time. Never climbed a coco palm but those leaners look like they would be a bi__h. We have a lot of different kinds of palms here and we try not to spike em, but a 100 ft washingtonia with fronds all the way to the ground is probably going to get spiked. Most climbers I know won't even climb tall palms. I have often climb out of a 60ft bucket and spike up rest the way. Even when you get a rope throu the top it'll often times get stuck between fronds and the only way to get it out is to hook it to the truck. I hate climbing palms, but if you haven,t had to climb 50, 80fters you shouldn't be casting stones. I'm a CA and I practice spike less climbing. Haven't spiked a trim job in 20 years, but I've carried a 28ft latter from palm to palm climbing up as high as I can and gaffing up rest the way. I also use vary dull gaffs and don't jam them into the palm leaving as small a footprint as possible. I was hoping to learn a new spikeless technique from this thread but I'll probably just keep gaffing up those tall, nasty, dirty, Washingtonia's and get paid vary well for it.

Retract

I appreciate your clarification to the sarcasm. I realize you are all pros and he's just an immigrant from Sumatra, but this guy can climb. This is a great network of people of knowledge, and he can relate. Any employment suggestions for him? He's a really good honest guy and works veery hard. He will move from Maui for a job. T

I guess ill chime in here with my info about palms.

I searched for palm pricing and found this!

Im in florida, i spike palms with pole spurs, i climb light, and i charge 35-200 per trim and cleanup.

19 bucks is as low as ill go on a yearly trimmed cut and run, no cleanup.

35 per is my min on cleanup +, 200 is as much as i have ever charged for one of the spiked palms over a pool, cut and swingem. ( yea i took a few holes home ; )

average 35-50 (if its 1-2 palms @ 50 per, i like a 100 min on palms. (200 min on any trees)

-peace

TREETX,
You did not answer my question. How do you climb palms that are too tall for a ladder or use cannot use bucket truck? Read my post...ALL tree companies here use spikes to climb coconut palms, I did not say trees. I DO NOT spike other kinds of trees unless it is a removal. FYI, I do not top trees. I have turned down jobs where the owner wanted the trees topped.

If you think I am a HACK and want to check on my reputation here, I will be glad to send you at least 50 commercial, government and residential references.

How's this work for you?

-Launch a throw line over the top of the palm.
-Haul your rope up on TOP of a loop of flexible drainpipe.
-Choke rope when you get to the top.
-Climb up.

http://www.arboristsite.com/commercial-tree-care-climbing/231509.htm

Back