Splined carb adjustment tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carhartt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Do they make the splined type carb tools in bit form or only in solid screwdriver? Id like to get a set but not sure where to look.

I got one from ebay, was about $16. I asked my dealer and he said they were not allowed to see them because of some EPA regs.

So they dont make them in replacement bit form? I understand why a dealer would say that.

Where did you order them from and can you get them in a set? I hate not having a simple tool.

I recently rebuilt a 142 that had them. When the carb was off I just took my dremel with a very narrow cutting wheel and notched the top of each screw. Now they adjust with a small screw driver just like my other saws no special tool to buy and then end up
losing.

Yup-that's what I do also. I just had to do a couple of POS Homelite blowers with the "Pacman" type adjusting screws. Dremel through the aluminum crap and then through the garbage screws. Then a good old USA made screw driver turns them.
Sure am glad we are all being protected from ourselves. We wouldn't want the stuff we buy to fart too much and knock the earth off it's axis.
Where is the "screwed" emoticon?

I hate adjusting carbs on a running saw with a flat blade. The splined and D type ones work much better - they don't slip off and often you can even let go of them on a running saw and they won't fall off. And making the tools is entertaining.

I have a couple with slotted screws I need to change out for splined ones.

Maybe you should tune your saws so they run smoother :)
You are absolutely right for sure. It is very aggravating having a flat blade walk all over & often just bouncing on top of the screw head and not falling into the slot.
Right tool for the right job as normal but when a carb comes with a fugazzi screw type one must adapt.

Beekeeping for chordoma

Where did you order them from and can you get them in a set? I hate not having a simple tool.

Ordered our screwdriver type--530035560---for the smaller Husky (445) Zama carb from Chalmers for $17. Didn't really try shopping for a better price or goin eBay route. So maybe the above mentioned set is a good deal?

There is a set for about $70 where they have matching handles and the style of the tip is printed on the handle, very professional and my OCD was making me want them but I finally went with the cheaper set above. My Ryobi has the Pac-man style screws and I figured I might as well get them all and be done with it as I've started more and more over the last few years to tinker with small engines.
This is the 65-70 buck set.
81JSZVK4CxL._SL1500_.jpg

There is a set for about $70 where they have matching handles and the style of the tip is printed on the handle
I bought that same set off eBay from a seller in Israel last summer for about $45 shipped. Took almost a month to get here but was worth the cost and the wait. That same seller currently only shows a 3-pc set (no splined tool).

"Buy a pair of hemostats and you can remove all the different types. Then slot them to accept a flat tip screwdriver."

You can but it's nice to have the right tool and if you are adjusting while it's running it's damn hard to keep that screwdriver in the slot or even find it to begin with while it's bouncing around.

I've got the idea that'll make me a million, I'm going to invent a straight screw driver with a rim around it to hold it on the screw. Anybody want to find me, just visit my private Carribian island.:rock:

Edit: Then I'll buy me a dictionary to learn how to spell the name of the islands in that warm part of the world.

l find they work really well when tuning a saw while it is running/vibrating. The cheap & easy way is to do the dremel slot thing but flat head s/drivers can be pita staying in place while saw is operating.

Latest posts

Back