splitter died

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik B

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was doing a bit of splitting this afternoon since it was a beautiful day. Heard some funny noises coming from the motor, and before I could do anything there was a bang and a cloud of smoke. I have had the splitter since 1999. The motor is a vertical shaft unit. pics show the details of the splitter and the split on the motor. DSC01594.JPG DSC01595.JPG DSC01596.JPG

If you were close enough ID send you a Honda OHV, vertical I've got sitting around. Carb needs cleaned or replaced, 5 hours max on it.

What does the 8.0 stand for on the engine - is it 8 hp? I would think that would be a 6 hp for a 25 ton splitter. My Huskee 22tn has a 6 HP Briggs. I think the Harbor Freight Predator is a 5.5 HP.

Look on craigslist. I bought a used Honda 240GX 8hp motor for $100. They are on there all the time.

What does the 8.0 stand for on the engine - is it 8 hp? I would think that would be a 6 hp for a 25 ton splitter. My Huskee 22tn has a 6 HP Briggs. I think the Harbor Freight Predator is a 5.5 HP.
It was an 8 horse engine. I am getting the engine replaced at Farm and Fleet.

Hp

Motor size has nothing to do with tonnage. A person could make a 50,000 ton splitter with a 5hp engine.

I figured it would be HP, but lately the torque, cc or hp ratings are all over the place. A 50,000 ton splitter with a 5 hp would be pretty slow!

I figured it would be HP, but lately the torque, cc or hp ratings are all over the place. A 50,000 ton splitter with a 5 hp would be pretty slow!

They don't give hp anymore because of false claims. It's how a TRUE 10hp 1960s yard tractor can easily out work a 2000s "26hp" tractor.

JB Weld

LoveStihlQuality

should do it! but, I'd consider the duct take for bit of extra ensurance... lol sorry to hear about that engine taking a powder. one reason I change my oil in my engine every 8 hours when splitting... running WOT for so long tells me to increase its maintenance. it really likes the fresh oil... every time! :)

hope u get it running soon...

should do it! but, I'd consider the duct take for bit of extra ensurance... lol sorry to hear about that engine taking a powder. one reason I change my oil in my engine every 8 hours when splitting... running WOT for so long tells me to increase its maintenance. it really likes the fresh oil... every time! :)

hope u get it running soon...
I will post pics when I get it back and let you know how the new engine works. I was asked if I want the old engine back but I told them they can keep it for a door stop.

I've fixed a few with a new rod and welding up the cracks.

So far has worked out, although with as easy it is to swap engines on a splitter I wouldn't bother unless someone really loved it. And we do get folks that are really attached to an engine.

Back