Splitter Engine acting funny

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
We've got a Lifan 190FD 15 hp engine on a no name splitter. Was splitting wood the other day when it started to sputter a bit. I figured it was just low on fuel and shut it down before it shut off itself. Well it wasn't out of fuel, I pulled the rope and she pulled pretty hard. I pulled the plug and pulled off the pump mount and it seemed to spin freely. I could spin the pump itself by hand as well. I've started it back up few times since then and it seems ok at higher rpms, and under load but lower rpms and it's erratic as all get out. I don't know much about these little 4 strokes so I don't know what could be wrong, haven't torn into it much yet because I haven't had a chance to get it in the garage. Any help is appreciated.

A spring connected to the throttle was losing tension is all....simple as could be. Oh well, it got a good cleaning and gone over!

A spring connected to the throttle was losing tension is all....simple as could
lifan makes excellent small gasoline engines and more often than not it is a simple problem like a tiny spring or a fouled carburetor jet. The best thing you can do is run at gasoline from a marina that does not contain alcohol. Your engine will be happy for a very long time. That alcohol fuel is very corrosive. You may pay $8 more a gallon but in the long run you will save money not having to mess around rebuilding carburetors replacing diaphragms that alcohol fuel is a nightmare

I always dump a little seafoam in when refueling, which is 87 with no alcohol but who knows what you truly get out of the pump. I run T6 5W-40 it for oil so I couldn't see anything go wrong with it. I need to find a diagram of how the springs are set up with the throttle linkages and what not. Was likely just in my head when I thought it was pulling harder than usual.

I borrowed my brothers huskee a few years ago and it was acting up. He ended up getting a free carb cleaning and an added fuel shutoff and a fuel cap. The problem was a bad fuel cap that didn't vent.

s*** happens, but all is well that ends well.

I borrowed my brothers huskee a few years ago and it was acting up. He ended up getting a free carb cleaning and an added fuel shutoff and a fuel cap. The problem was a bad fuel cap that didn't vent.

s*** happens, but all is well that ends well.

My biggest problem is with my anxiety I always assume the worst. At the same time though I knew it had to be something simple, was just worried that I overheated it but it wasn't like it was 90+ degrees out. Funny you bring up the fuel shutoff, the one on this engine use to be a bear to move. Now you could about shut the fuel off without it breaking a toothpick. I should take a picture of the gasket between the head and carb though. It has a port that runs to the bottom of the housing that is open to the environment. I best look for a service manual...

Back