Splitter idea...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 6" ram not so big but you can put in a dump this will speed things up. With 6 way this will speed up the splitting but like I said no splitter will do it all,with 6 way you will get big chunks if splitting big wood.
I gotta laugh when I see demmo's all wood 12-14 inches,no knots or bends and splits all come out nearly
the same but in real world it just ain't that way. You need to think about detent valve so wile splitting you
can be cutting next piece. Figure 3 or 4 pumps if doing separate operations and one dedicated for main ram if you have resplitter a flodivider could be used but only one at a time,if working alone fine but with 2 no good lots of things to think about. Don't hurry look at all the stuff out there and try to do what they can
only better.

Was thinking dump valve and auto cycle valve. Want a cylinder big enough in diameter to run a 6 way wedge with as big of a rod as possible. If I use that Kubota and plan to run saw while cylinder is moving I think a 28 GPM is my best option or else I'll be running out of power. My logic says feed conveyor can run on 13 GPM single stage saw circuit and wedge height can run on 28 gpm splitter cylinder circuit because those combinations will never be functioning at the same time. An out feed conveyor would be independently powered and able to use for loading truck from a pile without the processor. Don't know about powering second splitter haven't thought that far ahead yet lol. So far rarely have help but at the same time if I ever do that's gonna really speed things up...

Was thinking dump valve and auto cycle valve. Want a cylinder big enough in diameter to run a 6 way wedge with as big of a rod as possible. If I use that Kubota and plan to run saw while cylinder is moving I think a 28 GPM is my best option or else I'll be running out of power. My logic says feed conveyor can run on 13 GPM single stage saw circuit and wedge height can run on 28 gpm splitter cylinder circuit because those combinations will never be functioning at the same time. An out feed conveyor would be independently powered and able to use for loading truck from a pile without the processor. Don't know about powering second splitter haven't thought that far ahead yet lol. So far rarely have help but at the same time if I ever do that's gonna really speed things up...
It's all about wedge design. I had a splitter with a horrible main wedge that wouldn't split a lot of pieces, and on my new one, it goes right through and doesn't even kick into the second stage of the 28 gpm pump. Same for the 4/6 way. I'm having a 6 way built for mine, hopefully done in the next couple months. Just remember, as you go up in GPM, you need valves that can handle the flow as well as dump valves, as the return strokes usually will over load the valve and cause heat. I'm just saying.......cause I just got done going through all of this the past 3 months.

It's all about wedge design. I had a splitter with a horrible main wedge that wouldn't split a lot of pieces, and on my new one, it goes right through and doesn't even kick into the second stage of the 28 gpm pump. Same for the 4/6 way. I'm having a 6 way built for mine, hopefully done in the next couple months. Just remember, as you go up in GPM, you need valves that can handle the flow as well as dump valves, as the return strokes usually will over load the valve and cause heat. I'm just saying.......cause I just got done going through all of this the past 3 months.
Yea sometimes on a slow splitter people get too crazy trying to spread the wood apart to beat cycle time, and make a really wide wedge that kills on other pieces. On a processor I'd expect full stroke everytime because I'm not right there to pull the pieces apart and it should be a fast cycle and I expect to be cutting the next piece while it's cycling the splitter. So spreading the wood apart isn't a concern. It'll get pushed all the way through anyhow.

Latest posts

Back