Splitter is bigger better?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MishMouse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking at 2 different splitters at a local farm supply store.

The first one is a 22 ton Speedco with a 6.5 Briggs for around 1.05K
The second one is a 34 ton Swisher with a 12.5 Briggs for around 1.65K

Is it worth it paying 600 more for the Swisher with 12 more tons power or for splitters does it matter?
Note: The splitter will be used to split ELM, Oak and Poplar

Also are these good prices in your opinion?

I have a 22 ton Swisher and was able to stick it on some 24" rounds of Elm. Jammed it tight and I had to beat the round off of the wedge with a sledge. I tried a couple of splits and a couple of different rounds. Always stuck. Left the rounds in the field. It has handled everything else that I have thrown at it, though. Big oak wasn't a problem.

I may go back and saw them in half to be able to take a smaller bite now that I have a MS361. It would have taken forever with the last saw.

I got the splitter for free, so I'm not complaining. If I didn't have one and I was buying, I would buy a bigger splitter than the one I have, 30 ton minimum. We have a lot of elm here, standing dead.

The prices that you are quoting are about right for around here, assuming new units.

Last edited:
Stein, the same thing happened to me when I was borrowing a 22 ton Swisher from a friend. Got that piece of Elm stuck real good. Actually blew a seal on the splitter with that piece of Elm. Which is one of the main reasons why I was looking into a bigger more powerful unit.

Go bigger Mishmouse. With the bigger horse power, I assume that it has a bigger pump, so the speed of the ram should be about equal between the 2 and your gaining a fair margin on power.

Elm can test even the big boys. If elm is part of your main diet, go big.

Who makes the Swisher? If it is made by them I would have no problem recommending it, especially at that price.

I own a Swisher lawn vac that attaches to my tractor and it has been great. Sturdier steel and better built than the competition for no more money than the competition.

When I put it together there was a slight flaw in the fabric shroud. I called their customer service and there was a new shroud on my doorstep 2 days later.

The bigger splitters pump and cyl wont be working as hard as the smaller ones.The cycle time will probably be a touch slower than the smaller splitter,but if you want the power,you need to give up a little speed or get bigger engine/pump.If your splitting elm id get the bigger splitter.

Splitters are like tractors, you can't get one that's too big. Go w/ the most tonnage you can afford. Sooner or later you will be glad you did. :)

As I said earlier, and others have also stated, I'd go bigger. One thought, though, is for 95% of the time, the 22 ton is fine. It's fast and because all splitters' motors are running at full throttle, it's a lot cheaper to keep fuel in a 7hp than a 12HP or more. Is it worth paying for extra fuel 100% of the time for that 5%? Only you can answer that question. Just a thought.

I think I gotta agree with the bigger is better when you are dealing with elm.
As you have found out already, elm is tough to split when its straight, not to mention the crotches.If you leave all the crotches behind, you are leaving a lot of wood in the field.
For 600 bucks more, I would go with the bigger splitter. For faster splitting you can always get a 4 way head and use it on the straight elm, and it works great in oak and poplar.
When I am plunking down big change for a tool, I buy the best that I can afford.If I cant afford the best, I save up until I can.

Thanks, for all your replies.
Tonight after work I will be picking up the 34 ton Swisher.

May not be able to use it until next Saturday when we get into the 20's. Starting tomorrow we are supposed to start hitting the negative digits again.
But, this will give me time to shovel out a path to my wood stack and prep it for splitting.

Thanks, for all your replies.
Tonight after work I will be picking up the 34 ton Swisher.

I think that you will be pleased with that choice. Decent price and good size. It's what I would have bought if mine wasn't free.

I got the splitter with tax it came to around $1,775. It is a monster very heavy and well built. It is the model with the electric start so I may have to either disconnect the battery and bring it in or connect it to a charger before firing her up especially after a few nights of below zero weather.

It probably will not get any major use until next Saturday when temps are expected to rise into the 20's.

Buying big will only hurt once!

I got the splitter with tax it came to around $1,775. It is a monster very heavy and well built. It is the model with the electric start so I may have to either disconnect the battery and bring it in or connect it to a charger before firing her up especially after a few nights of below zero weather.

It probably will not get any major use until next Saturday when temps are expected to rise into the 20's.

Buying big will only hurt once! I told that to my MIL when she was shopping for a new washing machining. She is happy with the one w/ more features. Congrats on your new tool!

I am also in MN. I'm ~ 45 miles SW of the TCs.

Dan

Mish,

For that battery, pick up a battery tender at TSC. Usually about 30 bucks.

It's a trickle charger with auto "Float". So the battery charges when it's down, and is just tickled now and then as it needs it.

There's a little connector that allows for quick connect/disconnect that comes with 'em.

They work great this time of year.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Mish,

It's a trickle charger with auto "Float". So the battery charges when it's down, and is just tickled now and then as it needs it.

There's a little connector that allows for quick connect/disconnect that comes with 'em.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

A battery tender,and 5w40 synthetic oil(diesel oil) and she shoud fire right up in the cold.I say 5w40 becuase it thickens up nicely once hot,which is important for the small air cooled engine.

What about a solar charger?

Mish,

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

What about a solar charger?

Dan

Latest posts

Back