splitter... lube

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My TroyBilt specifically says not to use grease. Dunno why.

I have the wifey buy me the cheapest spray-can cooking oils at the supermarket. Works great. Sometimes I also use Husqvarna bar/chain oil. Don't want to waste the Stihl stuff on it. :)

My splitter came stock with grease fittings on the bottom side of the slide only. The zerks only lasted a few splitter sessions before they vibrated off. I believe its more effective to actually take a grease gun and apply a layer on both sides, top and bottom.

no one uses chew spit?

Occaisional goober of Copenhagen seems to work on my Huskee.:D

Seriously though, TSC sells a dry film lube that works great if ya gotta lube the thing. Nothing sticks to it as it's basicly a Moly/graphite infused paint.

It's plenty slippery, just no or little pressure resistence so for dedicated bearing surfaces, it's not the greatest.

Keeps things from rusting though.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

My TroyBilt specifically says not to use grease. Dunno why.
:)

I believe the idea behind not using grease is because grease can trap and hold dirt, acting as an abrasive once contaminated with the dirt, actually causing more wear. A light oil lubricant will not keep the dirt on the top plate as much.

Why some have grease fittings I could not say, mine does not and just says to lubricate the top plate with oil. :)

:popcorn:

Latest posts

Back