Splitter Opionion needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat-face timber

Knot Bumper
Reaction score
I have no experience with either of those. I think if taken care of and respected for what they are either one should last a lifetime. Do you have a TSC store or Menards near by? The reason I ask is for the money I don't think you can beat the Speeco for about the same money, someone just posted about a DHT on sale at Menards for same money.

if it was me i'd look for one that splits vertical & horizontal. I know i have seen them for around a $1000 a few different places.

We have already had this conversation on this thread:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/harbor-freight-log-splitter.249279/
In reply #23 I point out the differences between the two.
As to the vertical splitters, while some guys love them you could not give me one. I have used them on several occasions and working on the ground is for the dogs. This of course has been debated many times, but if a found is too heavy to lift it is too cumbersome to wiggle it around under the splitter too. Noodle those beasts or get a log lifter. I would rather swing a maul than struggle to shove it around on the ground under a vertical splitter.
Now if you are looking to speed up production the two ways to do that are cycle time (SuperSplit style) or multi-way wedge. While a 4 way (or 6 way) wedge will get you more splits per stroke you have to move or adjust it for different size rounds or you will get some odd size splits. The bi-directional wedge gets around this problem while increasing production by using both strokes. Of course there are a couple of drawbacks as well. One is there is no outfeed so you need to move each split out of your work space.

Clint,
I don't know what kind on wood your buddy is spitting but we have pretty much everything from pine to the snarliest twisted elm and oak here in Ohio, I started with a maul, then to a 20 ton hydraulic which left alot to be desired!!!, now I have a 37 ton husky from TSC that will split anything(if it don't split it will cut or tear it apart) and I love the splitter but hate where I came from, has over 150 cord on it and it is holding up, but I had to replace the engine after a rod bearing went and blew out the crankcase, looks like firewood is a gateway drug!!!

It appears that $1K is your high price point? I would look for a 25 ton or higher, and if it costs a little more, have him save up his pennies a little longer.

Our Ace stores around here just started carrying an Ariens 27 ton, msrp 1899 intro price of 1299. The unit looks pretty good to me with a Subaru engine but I have no experience with Ariens splitters.

I personally won't buy anything built by MTD because of how they handled Troy Bilt warranties when they bought that company's assets. "Sorry Charlie, we bought the name, not the liabilities".

My Brave VH9926 has performed perfectly for 12 years. Brave was recently acquired by GNE, who (unlike MTD) will honor all in force warranties on existing units. There are a lot of good splitters out there that don't have to cost top dollars, but a cheap splitter is well...... a cheap splitter. Saving a few bucks now will cost quite a bit more down the road.

The vertical was nice to have when my back, knees, and shoulders were 12 years younger, but I no longer care to wrestle rounds that are big enough to require a vertical splitter.

Whatever you buy make sure you can move it with one hand and never have to lift the wood more than a few inches off the ground to get it on it.

Back