splitter pump position???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesrgreat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a wood splitter that has a 5hp Briggs on it and the output shaft is horizontal and then goes to the hydralic pump. The motor is about worn out and I have been looking to find a replacement. I found a 5.5hp Honda, but the output shaft on it is vertical. My question is this, does it matter how the hydralic pump is mounted for it to work, and not damage it? And also, I've never owned a Honda motor before, how do they compare to Briggs? The motor is part of a power washer and the unit was exposed to freezing temps and ruined the pressure pump. The guy who owns it said if I want it to come and get it, free. The 5.5hp Honda motor should be fine, the unit was used for 6 months. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a wood splitter that has a 5hp Briggs on it and the output shaft is horizontal and then goes to the hydralic pump. The motor is about worn out and I have been looking to find a replacement. I found a 5.5hp Honda, but it's output shaft is vertical. My question is this, does it matter how the hydralic pump is mounted for it to work, and damage it? And also, I've never owned a Honda motor before, how do they compare to Briggs? The motor was on a power washer and the unit was exposed to freezing temps and ruined the pressure pump. The guy who owns it said if I want it to come and get it, free. The unit is 6 months old. That's why I'm wondering if it matters how the pump is mounted. Thanks.

The pump will work in any position but when in the horizontal position the suction should not be on top.
The should be good.

most often, it doesn't matter how the pump is sitting, but the best position is equal to or lower than the lowest part of the hydraulic tank.

this ensures that the pump will always have oil in it.

Latest posts

Back