Splitter Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gruff4531

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Yesterday my brother calls me to tell me that he is putting a new engine on our brave 22 ton log splitter. The reason for this is he somehow got a log to break the engine block (not really sure how that is possible because I haven't seen it yet). Anyway my question is my brother purchased a 9hp briggs to replace the 5.5hp briggs and as of right now the I am not planning on changing the pump is there anything I should be worried about because of the larger engine (ie hydo pressure)? And my second question is if I later decided to go with a larger pump what size could I use (right now it is a 11 gpm 2 stage) and would there be a need to upgrade anything else because of the larger pump. And to answer the question apparently the coupler and pump hosing all fit to the new engine.

Below is the spec sheet for the splitter (mine is from 1996 so the beam is a little different but everything else is close).

http://www.braveproducts.com/uploadedfiles/specsheets/BraveSR0622SpecSheet10-19-06.pdf

Let us know when you find out how this actually happened. I'm very interested in knowing how this happened as I'm deciding on a new splitter myself. I understand things may have changed since 96 though.

Thanks.

Engine, nothing to worry about there
Up grade of pump would be 13gpm, would gain a little speed due to higher flow rate.
Pressures will not change with the new engine or pump. Engine will not have to work as hard as the old one.
Consider how a few nasty to split pieces have gone airborne off my unit, it is possible, might want to add a deflector or shielding cage around the engine to prevent a repeat. Had a piece mash the hi pressure hose last fall, that was exciting.

After talking with my brother, it sounds like he was splitting and a piece flew that way and hit it the block hard enough to break it. I am already planning on making a shield this weekend so it won't happen again, and it also gives my a reason and opportunity to make a few other modifications I have been wanting to do. Will try and take some pictures of the carnage and the new mods this weekend.

Let us know when you find out how this actually happened. I'm very interested in knowing how this happened as I'm deciding on a new splitter myself. I understand things may have changed since 96 though.

Thanks.

From the pictures and the literature on the internet it appears the splitter has not changed much in the 13+ years I have owned mine. The only issues I have had with my splitter is I replaced the engine (before yesterday) about 8 years ago because the engine ate itself for some reason (take into account that was when B&S were kinda making junk). Aside from bolts and nuts coming lose I haven't had a major problem, and I have split a lot of wood. Will try and post some pictures of the splitter this weekend. Also I live in the same town where these splitter are produced and have seen a lot people using them with little problems.

My guess the new engine is going to have a larger output shaft than the old one. Many small engines, up to about 7hp, use 3/4" shafts, above 7hp they tend to go to a larger diameter shaft. Larger shaft may mean new coupler.

Back