Splitter update just in time for a wood delivery, PICS!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelbythedog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This splitter has been around a long time and was in desperate need of a few updates. Dad and I rebuilt the splitter about 9 years ago when I was in high school and put it on the Caravan axle, ever since it has sat too low to the ground. My lower back issues are aggravated immensely if I have to work in a crouched position, so 10" channel was sourced to bring the beam height to 29". Also, the table should reduce my bending to lift the same piece multiple times. I made the table removable to allow clearance while towing behind my quad.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Just in time to start on this moderately sized pile of wood that arrived yesterday morning.

attachment.php

attachment.php

More pics of the pile. 20" bar on the saw for reference. I was pleased to see a lot of oak in this load once again. If anyone in the Central MI area needs 8' logs delivered I can't say enough good things about Chris Muma Forest Products, great people to buy from.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Good job on making the more user friendly! Sweet lookin load of wood there too! :rock:

Yea, I'm pretty excited to put a few hours on the splitter and evaluate my modifications.

I also wanted to say thanks to the AS community for giving me inspiration during this project, lots of good threads and info out there on how to improve equipment and make firewooding easier!

Having a splitter at the right height for you makes a huge difference, I look at some of these guys that have the ground huggers and it makes my back hurt :msp_scared:

Now if you had an OWB, I only see about 8-10 logs in that pile that need to be split :msp_w00t:

Now I hate to be nosey, but what did those two loads of wood cost delivered and how many cord do you think is there?

$1600. Sold as 20 cord from the logger, 17 cord when cut/split/stacked.

Wish they had trucks that big around here. Very slick. Bet you get more than 17. Not much wastage or air space on that load. Very good quality logs.
Love the splitter too!

Tell us more

First off, that's what I call a load of wood !!!

Good looking splitter too. Tell us more about it. What size motor, pump and cylinder does it have?

Spent a few hours cutting today. 4 tanks of fuel later this is the start of my pile to be split. I'm 8' into the pile, I made it just far enough to get up the first pair of perpendicular runners. Used the MS 362 for three tanks, 026 for one tank. MS 362 wins for better anti-vibe, but man the 026 is a bunch lighter.

attachment.php

attachment.php

What is up with the "Bubble Top" Chev. in the corner?

That one is on Dad's bucket list. Get a few outstanding projects out of the way and that beauty needs a full resto on a Roadster Shop frame and LS power. Someday........

That one is on Dad's bucket list. Get a few outstanding projects out of the way and that beauty needs a full resto on a Roadster Shop frame and LS power. Someday........

So as soon as the wood is done, you should have enough time to get it to the Columbus Good-Guys Show in July! Just foolin with you...maybe in the near future. It would be nice to see.

So as soon as the wood is done, you should have enough time to get it to the Columbus Good-Guys Show in July! Just foolin with you...maybe in the near future. It would be nice to see.

Just look for the middle-aged bald guy wearing a Billet Specialties hat, white socks, and black tennis shoes. Oh wait, that's half the crowd there, lol.

Back