SPLITTERS>what name brand is BEST??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would encourage anyone using a horizontal splitter to buy or build a work table for it. I got mine from a guy on ebay with the handle 33flame. It's worth every penny.

We always had them custom built from the ground up by a welder friend of our. Reasons were that they could be built incredibly compact. Putting the oil resivoir into a box built into the beam saves gobs of space. Mounting the motor up above everything makes it so a 4 or 6 way monster splitter can be only 2-3' wide. Balancing the beam over the axel with the weight set right makes it easy to move around in the yard in big windrows of blocks. Rotating tires so the splitter can be moved with the beam parallel to the length of the windrow. All those properties are not available in commercial splitters but they are features that are very nice to have in some situations.

Like if you are going to move the slitter around to get to piles of wood, protability is important. If you are going to skid wood to a landing and the splitter will stay put, then being solid will be important.

My brother is now bigtime pro and he has a TW6 for blocks too big to fit though is main Timberwolf processor.

Bottom line is there is no "best". Just look for servicable parts that can be obtained locally and any splitter will be fine for general use. If you are going to go pro, then there are a lot of other things to consider and price will quickly factor into the equation.

We always had them custom built from the ground up by a welder friend of our. Reasons were that they could be built incredibly compact. Putting the oil resivoir into a box built into the beam saves gobs of space. Mounting the motor up above everything makes it so a 4 or 6 way monster splitter can be only 2-3' wide. Balancing the beam over the axel with the weight set right makes it easy to move around in the yard in big windrows of blocks. Rotating tires so the splitter can be moved with the beam parallel to the length of the windrow. All those properties are not available in commercial splitters but they are features that are very nice to have in some situations.

Like if you are going to move the slitter around to get to piles of wood, protability is important. If you are going to skid wood to a landing and the splitter will stay put, then being solid will be important.

My brother is now bigtime pro and he has a TW6 for blocks too big to fit though is main Timberwolf processor.

Bottom line is there is no "best". Just look for servicable parts that can be obtained locally and any splitter will be fine for general use. If you are going to go pro, then there are a lot of other things to consider and price will quickly factor into the equation.
BINGO, We have the right answer.

Because of all of the posters who had problems with their Huskee/Speeco units, we know they have excellent customer service. When your toe plate bends or your valve goes, or when you get one of their famous leaky cylinders, they are great on the phone and will send you a new part.
Who dragged up this year and a half old thread anyway?

Last edited:
When you sell as many units as Speeco/Huskee, your bound to have an elevated level of issues to deal with (not to mention their reputation for sending new parts prior to warranty expiration ). Take a look at the service bays at your Lexus and infinity , Cadillac dealers. They seem to be busy. Its how you recover, Customer Service is a pleasant surprise after the Art of the deal has passed. By the way, even old posts seem to spur some great comments , and information our fellow Arborist web fellows can use. By the way its wood splitting season again.. Maybe that's what resurrected the thread. Around Christmas we will see ads with Santa too. Timing is everything. :welcome:

Can Anyone Please Help Me With What Name In Log Splitters Is Best, So Many To Choose From,,,Need To Pull The Trigger On One Fast,,,season Is Late For Splitting,,swicher,,troy Built,cub Cadet,which Is Really Mtd,YARD MACHINE,,or Please Tell Me The Ones To Stay Clear Of,,,,Honda,,,or B&s? I Split About 10 Cord A Year. OH YEA, HOW MUCH HORSE POWER SHOULD I GO WITH???

I like my HUSKY 28 ton. (tractor supply).
I also like the fact that a home owner bought it and used it one season.
He decided that cutting wood for some reason was not worth it (???).
I STOLED it for $400.00!!!!!!
He was HAPPY with the price.(???). There are some people with more money than brains I guess.

The ONLY tools I wish I never paid for are today's Troybuilt products. Soft metal, infierior springs and rubber. The ONLY things good on my troybuilt splitter is the Briggs and Stratton Engine and the NAPA oil filter.

I use my troybuilt grass trimmer for stress management in the shop.

I picked up a brand new Echo Bearcat 21 ton yesterday. 14 second cycle time. Honda engine. Splits 3' douglas fir easy and 2' birch with a small grunt. Threw this years biggest and baddest at it, so far pretty happy.

Cheaply priced, good parts and well built. Vertical or horizontal operation.

I've got a Brave Industries 22 ton unit. Briggs engine, Haldex-Barnes 11 gpm pump... nice sharp wedge.

This thing will split anything that you can get on it... No problems after 9 years, and counting.

What's more important than the brand name, is the component parts. If you have good parts, you'll have a good machine, regardless of who's brand name is on it.

I second the brave

Much better product than what you will find in box stores not much more money if any.

Made in the usa by the same company that makes iron and oak ,its their low end splitters not as beefy but still has the quality and not the price tag.

Dealers may be hard to find

I like the 34 ton especially the larger hydraulic reservoir but the others look very nice.

I would also stick with a horizontal engine cast iron cylinder weather it be briggs honda kohler robin or whatever.

There are many better but I think it would be over kill for.

Split-Fire are awesome machines.
They split both forwards and backwards.

I bought a split-fire,with a four way wedge. The only problem with it, is it sits so low. It may be just right for some,but I made a little deck,for it,now its the perfect height for me. I agree its a great splitter,very easy on fuel,and splits everything I throw at it. You can change to the two way wedge,in seconds,for large rounds. I know I am getting old,but I could not possibly keep up with it. There is no wait for the back stroke,it splits both ways. I decided on it over the super split. It was a hard decision,they are both great splitters. I used a mall and a three point splitter before. The three point worked great,but not nearly as fast. Now I just load the split wood from the splitter table to the bucket on my tractor. I will not knock any other splitter,I like mine,and that is what matters to me. If you like yours then you got the right one. Mostly all of them split with no trouble. But like everything else,you may have problems or get a lemon. Kind of like comparing trucks,most of us think the brand we got is the best. As long as you are happy,and not having problems,who cares what others think about what you have?

The misinformed gentleman who insists American,Timberwolf, etc are all MTD needs to reconsider his position. I'd also bet if you gave him a MTD splitter he'd take it and thank you profusely.

Mike

Did you even read the post? He is not responding to the post above it which mentions the american and timberwolf. He is fesponding the the original post which state cub cadet and troybuilt which I believe are both made by MTD.
:buttkick:

Super splits do look impressive. How do they handle knots or stringy wood?
Also seem a little pricey for no hydraulics.

Back