Splittin Wood the Lazy Way

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nothing about splitin wood is lazy

you just have somewhat easy way of making it more fun

Did a little splittin during the past few days. I love being lazy.

How is that lazy? Looks like you did a fair amount of work to me. It's exactly how I do it (I have a Cat backhoe and a Timberwolf splitter and a 10 yard dump though). I split 10 face cords today and I'm tired as he11!

Hey, that's how I split. One atv on the splitter, one atv towing a 4' by 4' by 16" homemade trailer. I use my TC-30 loader for bucking or loading my road trailer if the the wood is leaving my ground. I did about a cord plus 1/3 after work today. I worked (tool and die) from 6am to 1pm today and I'm beat, and I had with my youngest a 15 year old helping. I just fired up the grill as I'm done for the night. It was 85 degrees today and this wood will be for next year. This is the first time I've worked wood since the first week of May. A friend/ neighbor stopped by as we were splitting telling me about a 24" ash by his parents with 100' clear all the way around that I can have. I already have at least 6 trees to drop this fall on my slate. About another month off and back to work with the wood.

Want to get real lazy..? Get the splitter that mounts upside down on your skidsteer. Don't get out of the cab until it's time to stack...:)

timberwolf_tws3

Sometimes we feel kind of lazy splitting, but after all those years doing it by hand, I think we are just older and wiser.... :)

ps A. Stanton, really like your loader bucket on the small tractor, nice setup there.

backhoe2_400.jpg

backhoe1_400.jpg

Last edited:
showoffs lol. someday till then i drag mine from the cellar up ramps i made to where i split at. it just squeeks through the door. hell at this point id settle for a shed to get all that crap outta my cellar :)

Sometimes we feel kind of lazy splitting, but after all those years doing it by hand, I think we are just older and wiser.... :)

ps A. Stanton, really like your loader bucket on the small tractor, nice setup there.

backhoe2_400.jpg

backhoe1_400.jpg

Mine looks like small potatos compared to your rig.

backhoe2_400.jpg

backhoe1_400.jpg

I love that setup. We have a Bobcat at work and built a splitter for it. From that I thought about fabbing one for backhoe. How is the power? :cheers:

I love that setup. We have a Bobcat at work and built a splitter for it. From that I thought about fabbing one for backhoe. How is the power? :cheers:

I think the pump will go 30 GPM on the Backhoe, the cylindar is rated at 11, and running 2900 PSI has been no problem. It is hooked up with the aux connection and controls, just like we attach the chipper etc. Hooks and unhooks in a minute or so, with a pin shaft. We have about $500 in it.

An older thread here, with other info on our splitter....
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=59485

yes, yes it is..

just more reasons to convice the wife i need a loader and back hoe...:D

awsome job to both of ya.

DSM,
Tell your wife you can make fire pits with the loader also. I'm in the middle of making one right now.

Bah. Real men split with a 16# Monster maul and when that fails out comes wedges and a 20# sledge. Sometimes I just glare at the rounds and intimidate them into splitting themselves.

Honestly?....I was hoping for a blackpowder thread!!!!!

Lazy and firewood do seem to conflict with each other.

However, iCreek's setup has me drooling.

How in the world do you only have $500 bucks in that! Was it all scrap and an old splitter you already had?

Bah. Real men split with a 16# Monster maul and when that fails out comes wedges and a 20# sledge. Sometimes I just glare at the rounds and intimidate them into splitting themselves.

Your kidding, right?
My grandpa always said the classic line, "work smarter, not harder"He was the classic example of a real man. 6ft3inches, 315lbs, and not an ounce of fat on the man. Anything he wanted moved, it went where he wanted it to. And he used a 30 ton log splitter. Said mauls were okay if you just wanted some exercise.
He didnt bother glaring at wood, but when he did get grumpy men,women, and large dogs would run for cover.

Latest posts

Back