"Splitting Chain"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I didnt want to Hijack the Rippin chain thread...

Im looking in my Cutters Choice book, and I see This chain, it says

"Its a Ripping chain"
LAser ripping chain is a Semi Chisel chain specifically ground for use on portable milling chain saw mills. It is ideal for cutting rough construction Lumber and semi finished lumber from any log. It leaves a surface smooth enough for most outdoor construction with no further finish required...etc etc..

"Its a SPLITTING CHAIN"
It cuts up wood chunks that axes, splitters and standard cut chains just cant touch....and it does it quickly. Specialty Ripping is a great second chain for the casual or semi-pro saw user.

HOW IT WORKS
Chain saws are designed to cut across the grain, "cross cut". The use of standard "cross cut" chain in a ripping/milling application setting is very rough, slow, and innefficient. On the other hand, a ripping chain is designed to cut with the grain, requiring much LESS power and signifigantly faster and smoother than standard "Cross cut" chain.

16" cutting length- 21.00
18" -22.00
20" -23.00
24" -25.00
28" -28.00
30" -30.00
32" -32.00
36" -36.00

Anyone used this stuff? Can I use it to quckly split a couple chords of Live oak each year, wood would likely only be 12" in diameter, and no longer than 20" or so. Seems "odd" to think of splitting wood with a saw, but it makes sense, even with the waste shavings and all that...it beats an axe, and its considerably cheaper than renting or buying a splitter for such small time use.

Just cut the from the side, at a slight angle (to keep the noodles a bit shorter), with a regular chain.....:biggrinbounce2:

I believe this is the same chain I bought a roll of it to sell to customers that wanted a "cost effective" ripping chain (verses our custom made rip chain). The customers weren't happy, so tried some, and I agreed. It was "blunt" out of the box and even when sharpened didn't stay sharp. Ripping chain blunts quickly anyhow, but this was poor. In my test, I was getting about 10 feet of board per sharpen (18-20 inch doug fir), verses maybe 30 feet for the Stihl semi-chisel made into grandberg style.

If you have a grinder, you can make a decent ripping chain in about 15 -20 minutes.

For your use, I'd just use a square ground RSLK chain....

Latest posts

Back