Quick Question About Chain Grabbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Campin' Cutter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Probably a dumb question but I wanted to ask. When crosscutting with my 288 the cut is smooth with no grabbing. I forgot my splitting axe today so I was ripping round sections of logs into sections of firewood (small quantities, just enough for my fire pit) and noticed that while doing it my chain was very grabby. Two or three times the chain stuck as soon as it touched and I had to stop and free it. What gives? Is this typical of a cross cut chain on a rip cut? I've never tried to use my saw for ripping before and this was the first time I've had an issue with grabbing.

Hi guys,

Probably a dumb question but I wanted to ask. When crosscutting with my 288 the cut is smooth with no grabbing. I forgot my splitting axe today so I was ripping round sections of logs into sections of firewood (small quantities, just enough for my fire pit) and noticed that while doing it my chain was very grabby. Two or three times the chain stuck as soon as it touched and I had to stop and free it. What gives? Is this typical of a cross cut chain on a rip cut? I've never tried to use my saw for ripping before and this was the first time I've had an issue with grabbing.
Were you ripping as in noodling? That is when your Bar is basically parallel to the length of the ?trunk. or with the grain. If you were cutting like cutting a pie in half that is a different story. I would say your rakers were short for what you were trying to do and the cutters were getting to much to chew on.

Were you ripping as in noodling? That is when your Bar is basically parallel to the length of the ?trunk. or with the grain. If you were cutting like cutting a pie in half that is a different story. I would say your rakers were short for what you were trying to do and the cutters were getting to much to chew on.
I believe parallel. I set the logs upright on end, then came in over the top of the upright logs and cut straight down into quarters. I found that I could get it to start the cut without grabbing if I angled into the cut (nose up or down) pretty steeply, but definitely had some chatter. I didn't have any issues at all immediately before while bucking the same logs. I'm sure it's something to do with the rakers but seems strange that the chain bucks smoothly and grabs/chatters on a rip

I believe parallel. I set the logs upright on end, then came in over the top of the upright logs and cut straight down into quarters. I found that I could get it to start the cut without grabbing if I angled into the cut (nose up or down) pretty steeply, but definitely had some chatter. I didn't have any issues at all immediately before while bucking the same logs. I'm sure it's something to do with the rakers but seems strange that the chain bucks smoothly and grabs/chatters on a rip
If you laid it down so it would roll then rip it "Bar Parallel to the ground you will be impressed Just don't hit the dirt as it is easy to do. Do a search on this site and yo will see a lot of it

Admittedly had to look up noodling. And, that seems like a much smarter way to do the same thing!

Basically the same thing I did except I put cut side down instead of bark down. I'll give bark side down (so it'll roll) next time I forget my splitting axe 😂

Noodling is named that because of the chips. It produces long strands of wood like noodles. Milling is cutting into the end grain and leaves very fine dust.
Noodling is probably five times faster than milling. If the clutch cover is plugging up, lower the nose just a little bit and it will make the noodles smaller

Noodling is named that because of the chips. It produces long strands of wood like noodles. Milling is cutting into the end grain and leaves very fine dust.
Noodling is probably five times faster than milling. If the clutch cover is plugging up, lower the nose just a little bit and it will make the noodles smaller
Was definitely milling. Will noodle it next time. Thanks for the tip!

I roll those off over the hill. I don't need firewood bad enough to put up with that crap. Next time, try kneeling down and starting your cut with the back of the bar instead of the tip or middle.

I started with the middle but figured out quickly that using the back of the bar with the tip up worked better.

Hi guys,

Try cutting Cookies off the end of the log. No sense in trying to get the saw to do something it do not want to do wood cookies will burn?!?
My 5 Cents D

Try cutting Cookies off the end of the log. No sense in trying to get the saw to do something it do not want to do wood cookies will burn?!?
My 5 Cents D
I do a lot of noodling to reduce large rounds and it works well. Cookies are definitely a good way to go also. Often I’ll cut a pecan that is over 2 feet diameter, I’ll just cut it into 4 inch cookies so I can chunk it up with the maul for cooking wood.

Back