Splitting maul / axe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolbrze

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Friend of mine asked what's the best way to split logs for firewood & since we don't split by hand I honestly couldn't answer that. What kind of splitting axe/maul do you recommend?

I have used a Fiskars X27 for over 4 years with good luck. It's not quite as heavy as a lot of mauls out there but every bit as effective. Fiskars makes some even heavier mauls now with a sledge on one side....I think they have an 8lb and 10lb model. Good stuff. A little more pricey than what you usually find at the hardware store. I still split a lot of bigger green rounds with a chainsaw and then use the axe/maul after that.

Also, Estwing makes a small maul called a "fireside buddy" or something like that, that looks pretty handy and versatile for many applications.

I have used a Fiskars X27 for over 4 years with good luck. It's not quite as heavy as a lot of mauls out there but every bit as effective. Fiskars makes some even heavier mauls now with a sledge on one side....I think they have an 8lb and 10lb model. Good stuff. A little more pricey than what you usually find at the hardware store. I still split a lot of bigger green rounds with a chainsaw and then use the axe/maul after that.
Very close to what I have to say.
I have 1 of the earlier Fiskars super splitting axe. Very effective on straight grained and moderately knotted wood and it is smooth, absorbs most the shock instead of the bones and joints. Next up for tougher splitting wood I have a Fiskers Isocore I have been very happy with also for the same reasons. Really tough splitting wood, especially big heavy wood gets noodled through the worst knots which makes it easily handled and finished split by hand. Don't have to wrestle big rounds or run a loader to move them that way.
I used to use a Sotz monster maul for about 90% of all splitting . I never found any thing that would hand split more effectively in tough splitting wood. It did send a lot of shock wave through my bones and joints though which didn't bother me in my younger days but to much on some of my wrecked bones and joints of the past got to be to much in my later years. Still occasionally pop a few tough ones now and then with it though. Don't try to swing 1 like an axe though or you will not like it. More like drop it with a little umph to guide it accuratley.
I've experaminted much over the years and the fancy designs and cheaper tools almost always never were worth keeping compared to these tools.
I work with mostly oaks, cherry, some birch, maples,and locust , a lttle this and that. I spent a couple winters out west and seemed like a good axe worked more effectively on some of the pines and firs.

4 or 5# single bit axes with long curved handles, out run a heavy maul all day everyday.

Knew a guy that liked using a firemans axe what with the big spikey thing on it, in between a proper axe and a maul for weight but has that spike so you can pick up wood with it.

4 or 5# single bit axes with long curved handles, out run a heavy maul all day everyday.

Knew a guy that liked using a firemans axe what with the big spikey thing on it, in between a proper axe and a maul for weight but has that spike so you can pick up wood with it.
I spent a couple winters in NE WA and the wood out there seemed to like coming apart better with an axe. The hardwoods here are different.

I have a Truper #8. $25 at Lowes. Gets the job done. However you can spend a little more coin and get the fiskars which everyone adores on this site. ;)
It will get it done but about a year ago I tried an 8lb something fiber glass handle maul from Lowes and rotated it with the Fiskars splitting axe about 10 minutes and didn't want to use the 8lb any more after about 5 minutes. Mainly not near as comfortable . Took it back and got a refund, bought an 8lb iso core and have been splitting the same wood with it and it is much better absorbing the shock and splits bigger wood better then the Lowes maul .

No name 3.5kg maul with a fiberglass handle: the Stihl dealership gave it to me when I bought my MS231 so you just know it has to be cheap.
Just keep it sharpened and it will make a night and day difference.

Latest posts

Back