Splitting Maul Handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaldSawRunner

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an old splitting maul head I found today at my moms house cleaning out an old shed. It is the maul I learned to split firewood with growing up. As I recall, I had to stop using it because we couldn't find a handle to fit it anymore. I was wondering if they still make maul handles with this type of eye anymore. I hate fiberglass, so to me that is not an option. Here are some pics, a couple with my dad's double bit axe head.

No MFA here in Camdenton. They closed. All the handles I find are the typical axe-eye handle or the sledge eye handle. The axe eye type handle is too long and narrow for this maul head.

No MFA here in Camdenton. They closed. All the handles I find are the typical axe-eye handle or the sledge eye handle. The axe eye type handle is too long and narrow for this maul head.

Looks like a standard maul handle to me also. I get mine at the local Ace Hardware but have also seen them in other stores.

As for shaving. Best method is to use an old single pane window. Break it and use shards of glass. Shaves very thin and takes awhile if you have much to remove. Drive new handle in (not HARD!) as far as it will go with some tapping, remove and shave the markings off, repeat, repeat. This gets a very close, tight fit. You can also do it the fast way by using a grinder but that is not even close to being accurate (yes, I have done that too).

Harry K

Last edited:
well when i break a handle which has happened quite a bit lately i usually buy the hande thats a little to big then use a wood file to shave it down then smooth it out with a smaller file but thats just me.

Looks like a standard maul handle to me also. I get mine at the local Ace Hardware but have also seen them in other stores.

As for shaving. Best method is to use an old single pane window. Break it and use shards of glass. Shaves very thin and takes awhile if you have much to remove. Drive new handle in (not HARD!) as far as it will go with some tapping, remove and shave the markings off, repeat, repeat. This gets a very close, tight fit. You can also do it the fast way by using a grinder but that is not even close to being accurate (yes, I have done that too).

Harry K

They make a tool called a draw knife that would work much better and safer than shards of glass, or at least I would think so.:cheers:

If you can't find a store bought handle and make it work find a small hickory tree and make your own. That's the way Pa does it. Just a thought.

When i replaced the handle in mine had to use one a little larger than the eye. Used my grinder with a 80 grit buffing disc to shape the the handle for the eye. Hope you find something.

RodneyG

Bald, when you put a wooden handle on, also put one of these on. You will never bust that handle while in use.

Harry K

Shards of glass? :confused:

WTF?? :dizzy:

do you cut firewood with triple pane? :D

Bald, when you put a wooden handle on, also put one of these on. You will never bust that handle while in use.

a peice of car radiator hose does the same and bye the whitest hhickory handle they have not one with a lot of pick or red in it just my 2 cents worth larry

Shards of glass? :confused:

WTF?? :dizzy:

do you cut firewood with triple pane? :D

Sharpest edge you can get for shaving hard wood. Hold the piece almost verticle to what you are shaving. Takes very thin but pretty shavings. One edge doesn't last very long but a sq ft of window glass broken will provide you with enough pieces to do several hammers. You have to try it someday. As with all things. Don't knock it until you try it.

Harry K

Last edited:
Sharpest edge you can get for shaving hard wood. Hold the piece almost verticle to what you are shaving. Takes very thin but pretty shavings. One edge doesn't last very long but a sq ft of window glass broken will provide you with enough pieces to do several hammers. You have to try it someday. As with all things. Don't knock it until you try it.

Harry K

Edit: I almost gave you a negative rep for that unwarranted remark. After thinkng it over this morning. Here have one.

Harry K

Harry K

I guess I will have to try it.
My previous experiences with glass usually resulted in bleeding all over the place. so my kneejerk reaction is based on my painful memories.

how would you hold the glass, though? Just a leather glove?

Last edited:
second that!

Me too. Not too much scares me, but broken window panes are owchy. Had some bad expreiences scrapping out aluminium windows. And glass splinters put the wooden ones to shame. Got a real bad one as a teenager digging up old bottles in a household dump. Right through my glove.:censored:

I guess I will have to try it.
My previous experiences with glass usually resulted in bleeding all over the place. so my kneejerk reaction is based was based on my painful memories.

how would you hold the glass, though? Just a leather glove?

I 'bare hand' it. I use shards that are big enough to hold safely. The 'shaving' process is not a quick job. Good for sitting under a tree with a brew. I can usually do one handle on at most two brews depending on how hot it is. Never measured them but a eyeball guesimate is on the order of 1 thousandths per shaving.

I was around 6 yoa when the hired hand showed me how while fitting a handle to a carpenters hammer.

Harry K

second that!

Safer yes, not even close to being as sharp or accurate. Hold the glass almost vertical and scrape, don't 'shave'.
If it doesn't 'bite' turn the shard around, the second side will.

Try it on any chunk of dry wood next time you have a broken window glass. I've never tried it using other than that type glass...hmmm...someting to check.

Again, it is not a fast job but I find it relaxing and it turns out a fit that you won't match any other way.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back