Splitting wedge - any idea where I can find this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw18x

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone know where I could purchase this type of "2 stage" style wedge? I found this particular wedge for sale but it's part of a 4-way wedge which I don't need. I'm looking for just the vertical piece with the kick out on the bottom. I couldn't find anything like it with a quick search online, although I see Timberwolf is using this design on some of their splitters.

View attachment 245103

use two wedges

why not use two wedges say one 8" tall and one 6" tall and cut the small wedge in half with a band saw of chop saw than weld the smaller wedge 2" in front of the top 8" wedge and use the other three inch wedge to fill in the gap on the bottom wedge. Just a suggestion hope it was clear enough.

You're better off just having a local welder fabricate that, They a reputation to protect and it will be just exactly what you want plus you also get their professional advice as well.

The last wedge I made, I just acquired several steel splitting wedges (the kind used with a sledge hammer) and stacked them up two wide and welded them all together. It was the cheapest way to get what I wanted. I then welded a piece of heavy wall three inch angle to tear the piece apart once it already started to split.

Check out STEVE NW WI, He has a pretty big splitter wedge on his splitter. Check it out.

Anyone know where I could purchase this type of "2 stage" style wedge? I found this particular wedge for sale but it's part of a 4-way wedge which I don't need. I'm looking for just the vertical piece with the kick out on the bottom. I couldn't find anything like it with a quick search online, although I see Timberwolf is using this design on some of their splitters.

View attachment 245103

If your cylinder can handle it, you'll eventually want to try a 4-way wedge. Once you try it, you will fall in love and wonder how you ever split wood before without one!

Back