Splitting "Y"s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scootermsp

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A friend in the firewood business gave me a great tip which helps to split 'Y' s.
When placing one on your splitter have the wedge running in the direction "up"the tree. Lay it flat like usual but turn it so the Y part is vertically oriented. It will split like any other round ususally. I tried it , and it works like a charm on larger pieces too! You should end up with 2 Y sections after the split.

Last edited:
When you split the y like that take a half and split it like a wish bone. Then it will fit in your stove no problem. Once you have the firth split done the wish bone splits very easy. Usually I take the super splitter and just split it like a wish bone to start. Then I work it as 2 pieces. I don;t seem to have any problem like that either.

Scott

interesting.

i always put the "V" of the "Y" into the wedge and split it like that. then, if the pieces are big enough, i split them in half.

for some reason, the splitter doesn't seem to bog down that way.

On really big nasty crotches I will split the legs first #1&2 on sketch. Then the rest comes much easier. I learned that when running a borrowed 16 ton splitter. With a 30 ton splitter it doesn't matter as much but you can still stall it every once in a while if you want to be stupid.

Don

I always split y's by running the wedge in the round end first. They usually always split without much difficulty. The only problem having the two y's is they won't fit in my stove. Most of the time they are too big.

That's how I split em. Sometimes can be tough to get em to stand long enough to him em with the ax though!

:cry: Shame on me?

On really big nasty crotches I will split the legs first #1&2 on sketch. Then the rest comes much easier. I learned that when running a borrowed 16 ton splitter. With a 30 ton splitter it doesn't matter as much but you can still stall it every once in a while if you want to be stupid.

Don
+1! Once you have the outer pieces removed (sometimes this takes three or four), then you can split straight down the center of the crotch. If small enough, I rotate it 90 degrees and then flip it first so that two small Y's are left that will fit through the stove's loading door.

That crotch reminds me of the devil in the tree saying, "Bet you can't do it! HeHeHeh."

iowacutter---I REALLY like the Fiskars. It will split almost anything the eight lb maul will. That's not because I can't get the head speed on the maul either. The handle could be about 4" longer though.

The Fiskars does not seem to get stuck any worse the the maul for me. I did look at the Tru Temper you posted, the flares on the side of the head are not as close to the cutting edge as the Fiskars. Maybe that's why you are having a problem with getting stuck.

I'll maintain a thick skin and not take it personally. However I haven't seen it mentioned in the 4 months I've been here. There are also a lot of new people
who may not know it, so it may bear repeating. Shame on you !!!

Right, dont take it personal, I was just having fun, not trying to be rude. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back