Spooky hickory goes down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We got a break from the rain today and my brother and I were itching to get out of the house. Loaded up the war wagons with the implements of destruction and up the hill we went. We have been looking at this old hickory for a while and decided that it was time for it to become firewood.
IMG_0645.jpg
The tree was a little spooky with all of the widow makers hanging off of it and we knew it was hollow. We cleared the fall path and a couple of escape routes and I went to work on it with the 372XP. The back cut was taking the full 28" bar and I failed to notice there was a little burl on the other side that was holding the entire weight. We weren't going around the backside of the tree with all of the crap that was going to come raining down once it started to go so we just wedged it over and let the tree do the work.
IMG_0647.jpg
Gratuitous required stump shot.
Then the work started. IMG_0649.jpg
My brother working up some of the stuff that needed to move. That is his New Holland in the background.

First load ready to go down the hill.
IMG_0653.jpg
My little 870. I love this tractor in the woods. It is strong enough to get the job done and small enough to get into places others fear to tread.

We headed down the hill and ran into my father who was cutting up some hop hornbeam.
IMG_0655.jpg
The tractor is younger than he is but he enjoys getting out and getting some cutting done. All in all not a bad morning in the woods. Time to find some lunch and ride the couch for awhile.

Good saws, good equipment and good cutting buddies. It just dont get any better than that.

Back