Spraying brush killer in the spring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed*L

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My woods is being steadily overrun by a pita (pun intended) prickly bush. They grow to about 3ft tall and spread, have small reddish leaves and the stems are covered with many thorns. When you cut them the "wood" is a bright yellow. They will also regenerate after cutting.
They green up very early in the spring (now) and are easy to spot in the woods.
I was wondering if a good spraying with Crossbow would be effective this early in the spring. I want to kill them, but I don't want to waste my time and spray material if it wont be effective.

Thanks
Ed

I can't comment on this particular plant. However, I would advise you to go to the local farm store and read the label of the product you are going to use. I had good luck knocking down a bunch of poison ivy vines on my property last year. The product's recommendation was don't spray until full growth is underway.
Good Luck.

barberry

Your problem plants are barberry (berberis varieties). They're really hard to be rid of because they are prolific seeders and the birds spread the seeds everywhere.

I don't know what the best herbicide is for 'em, but I thought knowing what they were might help you find the herbicide you need for 'em.

Thanks Kate.
I hit some of them this weekend using a 1% Crossbow solution and a small ammount of "sticker" material mixed in.
I should know in a few days if it is going to be effective or not.

Ed

Latest posts

Back