Spring pole help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could also shave the bark at the base and put some charcol on it and
come back after the tree was burnt through.
or just start shooting it with a large caliber handgun until it breaks......lol

Last edited:
The method is to lightly shave the inside of the pole with the top of the bar at the apex of the bend. The idea is to slowly release tension in a safe manner. I have done plenty this way with zero excitement.

:agree2:
If you thin it (shave it from the inside) at the right spot the pole will end up at a 90 angle and never go springing but will stays in one piece but the tension is released.

That being said it is a pretty good size spring pole...

Pole saw was the ticket, I was brave as hell standing 12 ft away. Don't know why I've never thought of such a use for it before. Cut it till it started popping then I jerked it with a chain. Neighbors dog didn't fly near as far as I hoped.

IMG_2149.jpg

Here's another blow down that fought me every cut, trunk was over head high all the way out when I started. Busted stump finally rotated over against that other tree when I made this last cut.

IMG_2150.jpg

great thread!

More very good info. to put in my personal notebook, to keep me safe and happy in my woods. It's what I expect from u all and am never disappointed.
Fran

Neighbor's dog??, I was going to mention the cat, hence the "catapult" statement earlier. People around here like their dogs too much. Cats are always disposable. Thanks for posting the results. I might have to get one of them polesaws...

We don't know about elms. But if it were a Doug fir, you can take a saw WITH A LONG BAR stand back, and cut in from the top side on the springy thing with little notches that will relieve the pressure. That's going in far enough to use up some of the pressure, but not far enough to sprong it. If you don't put enough notches in before you cut it off, that's when you find out it is a good thing to have a long bar on the saw and to be standing as far back as you can.

Back