Sprocket sheered off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the sproket was still ok, it should not be too difficult to rebraze or even weld the two parts together again.

Looks like the braze flowed well on the spur but not the drum. The alignment pilot can also be seen.

Its deeply cut and past worn out but it should not have separated.
I see this happen on carbide burs almost every day.
Once the burr is dull the stress (and heat) increases on the brazed joint which eventually gives in and lets go!

Considering the extreme wear of the sprocket neither a new nor used chain could have seated properly causing stress and vibrations whilst being driven resulting in tearing the sprocket off the drum.

As been said by others, there is nothing to salvage, that sprocket payed itself off tenfold - buy a new one!

I see this happen on carbide burs almost every day.
Once the burr is dull the stress (and heat) increases on the brazed joint which eventually gives in and lets go!

Considering the extreme wear of the sprocket neither a new nor used chain could have seated properly causing stress and vibrations whilst being driven resulting in tearing the sprocket off the drum.

As been said by others, there is nothing to salvage, that sprocket payed itself off tenfold - buy a new one!

For various reasons, i.e. part no longer available etc, I wish to remove a worn out spur drive from a clutch drum, and refit with a rim drive hub. I can see many probs ahead, however it seems simple enough at a glance. Has anyone here achieved this with success ?....... Someone somewhere managed to fit the two together easily enough. The method used has always looked like bronze welding rather than brazing to me.
Any enlightened comments would be useful.

For various reasons, i.e. part no longer available etc, I wish to remove a worn out spur drive from a clutch drum, and refit with a rim drive hub. I can see many probs ahead, however it seems simple enough at a glance. Has anyone here achieved this with success ?....... Someone somewhere managed to fit the two together easily enough. The method used has always looked like bronze welding rather than brazing to me.
Any enlightened comments would be useful.

What saw are you working on? Why don't you just buy a rim drive clutch drum?

If it was previously joined with bronze then it will be almost impossible to weld it now, the two methods are not compatible. What saw are you looking to put the sprocket/drum on?

Back