Spruce and fir prices elsewhere

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For rough sawn we sell it for around $2/bd foot. Firewood is $275/cord. That is for spruce, don't have pine around here.

I had a laugh at the "up here in Maine"... cause it's down there in Maine for me, but I still say "I was raised up there in Maine".

I'm wondering if the better stuff could be sold as building logs. Alaskan Sitka is about a buck a foot trucked.
They buck out the better butt logs for peelers.

For rough sawn we sell it for around $2/bd foot. Firewood is $275/cord. That is for spruce, don't have pine around here.

I had a laugh at the "up here in Maine"... cause it's down there in Maine for me, but I still say "I was raised up there in Maine".
Holy Crap!!! lumber in my yard is .80/BF retail and less than that for contractor pricing.

Try not to wince...

Last I checked and its been a little while, Doug Fir was dropping at $550-680, and Engelman Spruce was holding at 525... Different markets and different wood but there ya go
I've never been able to figure this out. You guys say $550-$680 for DF logs and I'm paying $450-$500 for milled 2x10 DF at the docks in Seattle.

Holy Crap!!! lumber in my yard is .80/BF retail and less than that for contractor pricing.

I've never been able to figure this out. You guys say $550-$680 for DF logs and I'm paying $450-$500 for milled 2x10 DF at the docks in Seattle.

I may have made a typo, I'll put a picture of the prices tomorrow if I remember.

I do know that it's fairly close to SBS pricing.

Alot of what gets cut is "custom" sizes that a hardware store won't have.

the mills pay us for only the square down the middle from the small end, an 8" dia log gets scaled at like 7" or so, all the stuff on the round bits and the fat end get turned into boards as well, so right around 30-40% of "free" wood for the mill, also they turn around and sell the chips and dust, literally nothing is wasted.

The loggers have always been left holding the short end...

Also most of the bigger mills Like Sierra Pacific, Hampton, Wyerhaueser, and many more either outright own their own timber land, or buy DNR/FS timber sales at rock bottom prices. Then they just pay the dumb loggers a set rate per 1k mbf. In the end they come out on top.

Honestly I think the overrun is higher then that. I know I have heard Crane Cr Cedar gets over a 100% overrun. They cut fence boards though.
Then you have outright theft by scaler. Sierra has a bad reputation for that around here.
Pretty amazing when you think about it. Physics professors would be amazed how more can come out of a mill then goes in.

I wish there was a way to push back a little, but in the end the mill controls the prices... Unless all loggers everywhere decide to up and quit for 2-3 months until they change the way they scale, or pay us... its not going to happen. Besides what I just typed has the distinct taint of "Union" to it and I for one would have a hard time swallowing that...

the mills pay us for only the square down the middle from the small end, an 8" dia log gets scaled at like 7" or so, all the stuff on the round bits and the fat end get turned into boards as well, so right around 30-40% of "free" wood for the mill, also they turn around and sell the chips and dust, literally nothing is wasted.

The loggers have always been left holding the short end...

Also most of the bigger mills Like Sierra Pacific, Hampton, Wyerhaueser, and many more either outright own their own timber land, or buy DNR/FS timber sales at rock bottom prices. Then they just pay the dumb loggers a set rate per 1k mbf. In the end they come out on top.
Got it. Thanks for the education.

pretty tough markets for any softwood here. most of the mills have their fill. if you can sell it, its going for around $45/ton delivered for pulpwood, and about $110/cord for sawbolts. IF you can sell them.

Back