Spun my first loops of chain, what do you think?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Rico

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My wife is cracking down on my CAD, so I went out and bought a breaker/spinner instead. I bought the harbor freight model, on sale, $45. I don't plan on using the breaker, so I thought it was worth a shot (I just grind the rivets). I thought I'd practice by shortening a few loops chain that had hit some metal (hit the screws on my milling guide). I picked out the worst looking cutter and started there, I'm going to take the new loops to the local dealer and see if he can even them up (I don't have a grinder yet). Once I figured out what went where, the spinner seemed to work okay. But my rivets I spun look a lot different than the existing ones (3/8, .050).

I don't know if I spun them too much, or if my bits just suck, I'm pretty sure I used the right size (according to Harbor Freight). The pics aren't very good, you can see the rivets I spun on the right compared to existing ties on the left.

You think these will hold up or should I try again (or ship them up to Teddy)?

View attachment 215616View attachment 215617

Sup Rico!

Looks fine!
Just the impression left by the HF spinner.
It will hold just fine.
Another member here locally has one and it is the same.

But if needed, you got my addy (3.95 small priority box) away!!!!

I would almost say you're spinning them too far or using the wrong anvil. It's tough to tell as the pics are fairly small and don't reveal a lot of detail.

If there is no/little slop in the link and they move freely then I may try it. Usually when you overspin them they will bind and the rivets will start to crack along the outer edge.

Yeah, sorry about the pics, not sure why they showed up so small...

The links aren't binding and there isn't much play, so I thought they'd be alright, just looked funny.

Did you get that bar on a saw yet Matt? I want to see pics.

I thought I'd check out the local saw shop and see how they do on these chains, they're pretty torn up, one was a on that 066 I bought from a tree guy who trashed the saw and chain, the other is the first chain I milled with and hit all kinds of crap.

Thanks for the input, I'm still going to be sure to wear the chaps and gloves when I take these for a test run.

It's a good thing to learn Uncle rico, and like anything else it takes practice. You sure save money on chain.

The HF anvils, are a bit different then the Oregon type spinners.
The Oregon spinner gives the factory type look, and the HF spinner has a domed cone shape.

STILL possible to be using the wrong spinner!

Rico was at my pad when I spun 12-15 loops and seen the process.

I've also found that doing this can sometimes help also. I've ground the small tags down on my spinner to avoid damaging the tie straps. Not damage from overspinning either. Mine is a Precision Tooling spinner from Italy...

DSCF1145.jpg

Usually when you overspin them they will bind and the rivets will start to crack along the outer edge.

Depends on the chain. Windsor presets are an absolute pig for overspinning and binding up whereas Carlton ones are very difficult to bind up, near impossible if using the correct presets matched to the chain guage.

Is there new rivets you can buy like cutters and such?

Is there new rivets you can buy like cutters and such?

Yeah Baileys have them as individual items. Local dealers here are an absolute ripoff - local Stihl dealer wanted AUD$5 a preset. They probably came included with a 100'roll of chain he bought :(

Yeah Baileys have them as individual items. Local dealers here are an absolute ripoff - local Stihl dealer wanted AUD$5 a preset. They probably came included with a 100'roll of chain he bought :(

Crazy! I have never seen them advertized anywhere.

I have thought about spining my own chain just so I can buy a roll and make my own loops.
And the last time I needed a link took out of my 36 I tried to watch how my dealer did it, but he did it so fast I really didn't see what he did.

My wife is cracking down on my CAD, so I went out and bought a breaker/spinner instead. I bought the harbor freight model, on sale, $45. I don't plan on using the breaker, so I thought it was worth a shot (I just grind the rivets). I thought I'd practice by shortening a few loops chain that had hit some metal (hit the screws on my milling guide). I picked out the worst looking cutter and started there, I'm going to take the new loops to the local dealer and see if he can even them up (I don't have a grinder yet). Once I figured out what went where, the spinner seemed to work okay. But my rivets I spun look a lot different than the existing ones (3/8, .050).

I don't know if I spun them too much, or if my bits just suck, I'm pretty sure I used the right size (according to Harbor Freight). The pics aren't very good, you can see the rivets I spun on the right compared to existing ties on the left.

You think these will hold up or should I try again (or ship them up to Teddy)?

View attachment 215616View attachment 215617

yep that will work my first ones looked the same now i stop bit short and they look similar to the ones on the chain don't forget a drop of oil on the anvil i just use bar oil it's easy'er on the anvil and help's stop cracking :cheers:

I ordered a handful of presets and straps from Baileys, they were cheap enough, although shipping them across the country always gets me. I bought a pack of five Stihl presets and straps on ebay for the Stihl loop that I was shortening.

I think believe I'm using the right size spinner/anvil (not sure of the correct name for it) the spinner came with two sizes, one for .325 and smaller and one for 3/8 and larger. I'm using the bigger one for 3/8. I may try grind it down a little, I'll see if I can order a spare first though.

I used a few drops of my oil for the air tools, it seemed convenient, maybe I'll try bar oil next time, since I did have a little cracking on a couple rivets.

Thanks for all the input.

Some of the local shops may give you some presets if you do business with them some. It will sure be cheaper than ordering them.

It appears you spun them a little big, but no big deal. Just spin them to the size of the factory links and they should always work just fine. Any oil that is laying around will work just fine.

It is better that they be spun a little less than smashed to the point they are getting stiff. I learned this from another guy, but a loose link won't fail, as much as a tight link will ........... if either is going to fail at all.

Doing good,

Sam

You've may have gotten away with it this time!!

My wife is cracking down on my CAD, so I went out and bought a breaker/spinner instead. I bought the harbor freight model, on sale, $45. .........

How do you figure.....you've may have gotten away with it this time….but she’ll figure it out……breakers and spinners are STILL CAD related!

hows the quality on those hf spinners nd breakers?i've been wanting to start making my own loops

It seems pretty solid and spun fairly well, other than the shape of the rivet. But that's likely due to operator error, we'll see if that gets better.

I don't know that I'll even try the breaker. I'd guess that would be the first thing to break.

I have found that "Treestuff" a local sponser here also sells the "presets and straps" and don't hit you as hard on the shipping. I have been re-using the straps. Any reason not to?

Latest posts

Back