Square chisel, the remote possibility of a file-jig

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IchWarriorMkII

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Im just a simple farmer guy, who enjoys cutting some wood. I don't mind to file, I use a jig to aid my lack of touch by hand, and I don't cut enough to warrant a good grinder+ supplies to keep my chain ground.

I hear all about square chisel, and how nice it is. I sure would like to try some out, but Im certainly not going to buy new loops when the old gets dull... How would one go about sharpening such a chain?

The local shop would probably sh!t when they saw it.

No grinder means no grinder wheel.

Lack of hand file skill means I'd probably file the chain into a worthless pile of drive links.

http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/5791?mv_session_id=arfTFhz5&product_sku=15065

Would one of these files fit in a Granberg file jig? I could mock me up the angles on my new chain, then use it to put a touch up on the chain when needed?

Or :laugh: no.

Im just a simple farmer guy, who enjoys cutting some wood. I don't mind to file, I use a jig to aid my lack of touch by hand, and I don't cut enough to warrant a good grinder+ supplies to keep my chain ground.

I hear all about square chisel, and how nice it is. I sure would like to try some out, but Im certainly not going to buy new loops when the old gets dull... How would one go about sharpening such a chain?

The local shop would probably sh!t when they saw it.

No grinder means no grinder wheel.

Lack of hand file skill means I'd probably file the chain into a worthless pile of drive links.

http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/5791?mv_session_id=arfTFhz5&product_sku=15065

Would one of these files fit in a Granberg file jig? I could mock me up the angles on my new chain, then use it to put a touch up on the chain when needed?

Or :laugh: no.
Why not just file it round when it gets dull. Then, you're at least getting to try square ground, you're not wasting chain, and you're not having to sharpen square ground.

Thats a possibility.

I was kinda looking to try the square chisel out a little bit longer than that however. But if its my only option, its a valid one.

Why not just file it round when it gets dull. Then, you're at least getting to try square ground, you're not wasting chain, and you're not having to sharpen square ground.

You feeling alright there space????? Seem to be full of helpful information tonight! Well, you're full of something at least:laugh:

Thats a possibility.

I was kinda looking to try the square chisel out a little bit longer than that however. But if its my only option, its a valid one.

If your curious enough to be trying square ground chain, are you willing to try square filing?

Here's a nice write up by Crofter:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=18372&highlight=square

I'm in the same boat as you, I wanted to start square filing last fall and never found the time. But as with most anything worth while it will be some work.

I just bought a couple loops of 75CL to try out. It took me a little bit to figure it all out last night, but i think i got it. I'm using a WP flat file with the beveled edges on the sides. The biggest thing i noticed is to file from the outside in (I.E. opposite of how you file a round ground) that way you can see alot better how all your angles are. I know i got the angles right when i'm just starting to hit the chain link on the other side. I'm gonna go try it hear after work but it looks just luck my other new loops. I 'll try and post some pics.

I dont think there is any easy way of making jigs like the Grandberg work for square filing, at least not that came to mind as I looked at it. Dennis Cahoon did post a pic somewhere of a jig he experimented with. An outfit in Sweden has been working on something to do true chisel bit filing but I dont know where it is at present. Maybe Swe#Kip will come in with any developments on.
I think that Spacemule's suggestion has some merit. Even if you decide it is not for you, it is very easy to round file and convert a chisel bit chain to standard (or vice versa) The factory square ground chain angles dont give a very good impression though, as they are not very sharp and rather blunt angles. It does give you a good example to start from.

There would not be anyone that dose not think that "L" ground chain is not at least 15% faster then round filed chain.

My square filed is not perfect, but it will cut faster then my best round filed chain, I had been filing round chisel for over 30 years.

I dont think there is any easy way of making jigs like the Grandberg work for square filing, at least not that came to mind as I looked at it. Dennis Cahoon did post a pic somewhere of a jig he experimented with.

Crofter doesn't know what he's talking about....just put in the square file, adjust your angles and start square filing.

squarejig.jpg

squarejig002.jpg

Last edited:
square

Crofter doesn't know what he's talking about....just put in the square file, adjust your angles and start square filing.

squarejig.jpg

squarejig002.jpg

Threr you go, proof! I'm gonna have to try square filing to, soon. I'm gonna buy stihl rslk or oregon 72cl. And go from there.:clap: :hmm3grin2orange:

Hi Dennis you sweet talking devil.;) I guess people will have to try it out and see how it goes. I'd be happy to find out I was wrong on that!

I dont think Nygran are in business any more. The Granberg 106 I have is not nearly large enough in the clamp area to swallow the flat chisel bit file, though the triangular style will go in. There is no provision to adjust rotation of the file to set different side plate hook angles. Seeing as the cheapest square grinder is around 800 bucks I am surprised the jig manufacturers are not touting them for square filing if they are a workable alternative. Here is a couple pics. Maybe some other makes than the Granberg could lend themselves to square filing.

Last edited:
I read a while back sthil is work'n on an atop guide for sq ground chain - saw a pic of the files - neat look'n - but I'v never seen the guide

Bump! the pictures I took attached to Post #14 show that the flat style chisel bit file would not fit in the 106 Grandburg fil n joint. I do not have it at hand at the moment but I seem to remember thinking as I sized things up that the horizontal angle was not achievable for square filed as Freakingstang mentions. Maybe you could get that obsolete one Cahoon has put back into production. I guess we will just have to see how that one from Atop works when It gets out. I thought the angles it made were a little bit of a compromise, but I understand that has been modified and can be different for hard and soft wood. A bit of a guess on my part because that is just from pictures of the Atop filed chain that Timberwolf was sent. I have the Atop Racing Cut jig for doing semi chisel with a goofy file and the jig is stoutly made and indexes very well.

Last edited:
Back