Square Filing Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! Im really liking square but need practice to speed up my filing. I can round file with the best but square filing full comp takes me forever.

You guys are doing great! In the last photo posted, it looks like what's called a 'beak'. It's kind of a mini-hook on the cutter that happens if the file is allowed to go a tad too low on the vertical plane. It's simple but tricky to not let that happen. It'll cut well enough but will dull quickly with beaks.

I've been chisel filing most of my life and will never go back to round for my cross-cutting chains. I use a different top plate angle from anybody I know of, but otherwise my geometry is the same as other folks.

Hope this helps a few guys fresh of the grinder a few of them looked a little low to me, too low they'll dull in the first few minutes as well be very grabby too high and it'll be dull.
04c77b589f179f4f345f7abf94a85b6a.jpg
10dd43d91e8276bb634ca1c9159e60a7.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

View attachment 591349 Started filing like this and really made things easier for me. My vision isn't great but now I can see the corner much better this way.
I have good vision myself and still have a hard time seeing the corner dead on in the evenings after working all day. One thing that has helped is a yellow tint safety glass or glasses with some magnification in them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Gotta get a magnification visor for hand filing. Helps with machine grinding too. And handsaw filing.

Back