Square grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Livin

I DON'T EVEN BURN WOOD
Reaction score
Looking at purchasing either the simington s-451-c or the silvey swing arm. The simington is brand new and the silvey is slightly used. Which one is the better or most preferred grinder for square ground chain. This will be personal use only so which one is the most user friendly too.

Both are real similar. The simington has an adjustable chain holder to compensate for wheel wear. That will keep the grind the same from a new wheel to one that's almost too small to use. The silvey is a nice grinder and probably save you some money. I had one before I got the RS II.

There is no adjustment for wheel wear on the silvey swing arm.

I wish I could have afforded the pro sharp that Troy G sold. I've always wanted to try one of them.

I've used the Simington (a lot), the Silvey SDM-4 (a little), and the Razor Sharp II (a little). I've not used the Silvey Swing-Arm or Pro-Sharp. My family's saw shop sold Simingtons new and we often took in and sold used grinders. All of them had pros and cons. All of them are high quality. My favorite... probably the SDM-4. User friendly?...can't say any of them are. It takes patience and practice.

Ultimately I think whatever you end up with...you'll get used to using, it will become your favorite, and you will not let anyone else touch it.

Can you post a link to the video, didn't turn up on my search.

Or, is their existence just a made up inside joke....

Can you post a link to the video, didn't turn up on my search.

Or, is their existence just a made up inside joke....

I'll try to find it on my computer later. I think the shop talk guy is the one who as the video.

Thanks, I have seen the Zeigelemeyer mentioned several times and have not been able to find any info about them.

That's it. I couldn't remember his name on YouTube for anything.

Latest posts

Back